2023 Bentley Bentayga Hybrid Falls Short
【Summary】The 2023 Bentley Bentayga Hybrid falls short of expectations with its SUV design and lackluster exterior features. However, the interior is luxurious and comfortable. The hybrid powertrain offers good fuel economy and an estimated 23 miles of all-electric range. The ride comfort is disappointing, but the Bentayga corners well. The Naim premium audio system is a standout feature. Overall, the Bentayga Hybrid is not exceptional considering its high price tag.
Telling your significant other that you're bringing home a quarter-million-dollar Bentley Bentayga Azure comes with certain expectations. The idea of gliding around in a luxurious and elegant ultra-luxury vehicle sets plans into motion. Questions arise about where to dine and whether it would be appropriate to invite friends. The anticipation builds, creating a sense of excitement.
However, when the Bentley Bentayga arrives, some disappointment may arise if the fact that it is an SUV doesn't meet expectations. But SUVs have become popular and practical, even among the upper class, so any disappointment is easily brushed aside. The dark Tungsten paint, black-painted wheels, and blacked-out trim of the arriving vehicle may diminish its allure.
Inside the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid, the sumptuous leather interior helps to compensate for any shortcomings. The well-padded seats face a leather dashboard with pipe-organ air vent controls and inserts trimmed with Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneer. Pressing the engine start button reveals a rather ordinary mechanical note, as this model is equipped with a 335-hp turbocharged V-6 engine that gets boosted by a rear-axle-mounted electric motor.
This powertrain offers good fuel economy, with an EPA-rated 20 mpg combined and an estimated all-electric range of 23 miles. However, the range may not be sufficient for a weekday's worth of driving solely on electricity. In our tests, we averaged 28 miles on a full charge and discharge cycle, but we hope for a higher range in the future with a larger battery.
While the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid may not have an exceptional electric range, it performs well on gasoline alone. In our tests, we averaged 23 mpg on gasoline alone over a 1454-mile span of mixed driving. The hybrid's passing time advantage may not be as significant as the V-8-powered Bentayga S, but it still accelerates quickly, reaching 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.
One disappointment with the Bentayga Hybrid is its ride comfort, which falls short of the butter-smooth experience expected from Bentley. The ride feels less polished than it should be, especially compared to other vehicles in its class. The Bentayga Hybrid corners well and has good grip, but its braking performance is not as impressive as the lighter Bentayga S.
The Bentley Bentayga Hybrid features the optional Naim premium audio system, which delivers exquisite sound through 20 speakers backed up by 1780 watts of amplification. The audio environment in the vehicle is impressive, providing a quiet and enjoyable experience whether running on gasoline or electricity.
In the end, the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid falls short of some expectations associated with the Bentley name. The ride comfort and overall driving experience are not exceptional, and the plug-in hybrid nature of the vehicle is not prominently displayed. However, the powertrain performs well and offers good fuel efficiency. Despite its shortcomings, the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid is still a luxurious and capable vehicle.
- Vehicle Type: front-engine, rear-motor, rear/all-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door wagon
- Price: Base/As Tested: $234,450/$273,095
- Powertrain: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.0-liter V-6, 335 hp, 332 lb-ft + AC motor, 134 hp, 295 lb-ft (combined output: 456 hp, 516 lb-ft; 14.3-kWh lithium-ion battery pack; 7.2-kW onboard charger)
- Transmissions: 8-speed automatic/direct-drive
- Suspension: multilink/multilink
- Brakes: 15.8-in vented disc/15.0-in vented disc
- Tires: Pirelli P Zero 285/40ZR-22 (110Y) Extra Load B1
- Dimensions: Wheelbase: 117.9 in, Length: 201.8 in, Width: 79.1 in, Height: 67.3 in, Passenger Volume, F/R: 54/52 ft3, Cargo Volume, Behind F/R: 62/17 ft3, Curb Weight: 5668 lb
- C/D Test Results: 60 mph: 4.5 sec, 100 mph: 11.2 sec, 1/4-Mile: 13.0 sec @ 107 mph, 130 mph: 20.2 sec, Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 5.4 sec, Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.8 sec, Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 3.5 sec, Top Speed (gov ltd): 158 mph, Braking, 70–0 mph: 168 ft, Braking, 100–0 mph: 339 ft, Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.86 g
- C/D Fuel Economy: Observed Gasoline: 23 mpg, Observed Gasoline + Electricity: 25 MPGe, Percentage of Miles Driven on Electricity: 13, EPA FUEL ECONOMY: Combined/City/Highway: 20/18/24 mpg, Combined Gasoline + Electricity: 47 MPGe, EV Range: 23 mi
Overall, the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid may not meet all the expectations associated with its price tag, but it still offers a luxurious and capable driving experience.
Toyota's ongoing inquiry into electric Hilux pickup
Subaru Exiga's US Survival Doubt
Bronco Review (2023)
Land Rover used car dealers experience significant profit growth
Mercedes-Benz Dubai Tower
New design process for electric vehicles funded by consortium
Ferrari 812 to be replaced in 2024 with V12 engine
Mitsubishi's Latest Electric SUV: A Renault Revamp
- Stellantis CEO adeptly addresses challenging queries from auto dealers
- Masterful Mashup
- Rivian's Shift Towards Affordable Batteries
- Ducati Bentley Diavel Limited-Edition Bike
- Closure plans criticized for Rufford ford
- Tesla Cybertruck's Innovative Battery Pressurization for Water Driving
- Tesla's Holiday update introduces exciting new features, including an unexpected horn addition.
- 8 Unique Pickup Trucks
- Electric vehicle insurance costs remain high
- Driving ban for Michael Ball after two speeding incidents in expensive Porsche