Porsche's Powerful Flat-16 Engine in the 917 PA Spyder
【Summary】Porsche developed a flat-16 engine with over 800 HP to address power challenges in the Can-Am series dominated by McLaren. The engine was tested in the 917 PA Spyder under the supervision of Ferdinand Piech and Hans Mezger.
Porsche's iconic 917 race cars were not created overnight. The German automaker had to go through years of development, which included the creation of a 16-cylinder engine.
In the early 1970s, Porsche found itself facing a tough challenge in the Can-Am series. Despite the success of Porsche's 917 in endurance racing, the series was dominated by McLaren.
In an effort to address the power deficit against V8-powered competitors, Porsche decided to explore developing a flat 16-cylinder engine. This engine was capable of producing over 800 horsepower. To test this new engine, Porsche used the 917 PA Spyder, which featured the unique motor developed by the legendary Hans Mezger under the supervision of Ferdinand Piech.
Bronco Review 2023
Land Rover used car dealers experience significant profit growth
Subaru Exiga's Unlikely Success in the US
New design process for electric vehicles funded by consortium
Ferrari 812 to be replaced in 2024 with V12 power
Mercedes-Benz Dubai Tower
Mitsubishi's Upcoming Electric SUV: A Unique Redesign
Teenagers driving HGVs face criticism over new licence changes
- Bentley's innovative electric vehicles for emergency response
- Renault's Bigster Arriving in South Africa by 2026
- Direct air capture process
- Radical electric makeover for the Nissan Qashqai
- Toyota unveils compact electric SUV for European market; could it be headed to the US?
- New design process for electric vehicles funded by consortium
- Top Photos
- Ford's Potential Shift to Tesla Tech for New Electric Vehicles
- Nissan 370Z Sought by Chino Police After High-Speed Pursuit
- Sixt Ends Tesla Partnership Over Repair Costs & Depreciation