The Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 coupe concept is a retro-futuristic stunner
【Summary】The Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 coupe concept is a retro-futuristic stunner.
This is the Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 and Mercedes says it's a throwback to the "glorious age of the aero coupes." The 18.5-foot long 2+2 concept makes its debut this weekend at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
Last year, I drove a fire-engine red Rolls-Royce Wraith around Los Angeles for three days and imagined what it would be like to own the $375,000 coupe. The Wraith is an astonishing car, with unequalled luxury and the most comfortable seats I've ever found in a car. Its 624 horsepower, 6.6-liter twin-turbo V12 provided endless power. It might be the best car I've ever driven. However, if Mercedes decides to build this new concept car, it might just surpass the Wraith.
The enormous hood, low roof line, and rear-positioned passenger compartment are meant to be a "reinterpretation of classic, aesthetic principles" while still exhibiting an aerodynamic design. That's important because the car is said to have a 738-horsepower electric engine with a range of more than 200 miles. Slippery aerodynamic design would be crucial to achieving that goal.
The gullwing doors are a Mercedes hallmark going back to the iconic 1954 Mercedes 300 SL and, more recently, the Mercedes SLS AMG.
"With its intelligent appeal and reduced, technoid look, it perfectly embodies our design philosophy of sensual purity and our pursuit of aerodynamic efficiency," said Gorden Wagener, head of design for Daimler AG in a press release.
The interior is stocked with modern technology and old-school comfort including a Chesterfield look to the leather seats, Elm wood trim (to create a "refined yachting look"), and enormous screens including a digital overlay on the windshield that can show driving-related and geographical information across the entire lower glass.
Much of it is fantasy at the moment of course, typical of futuristic concept cars. But, if this is where Mercedes is going with its flagship Maybach line, it's going to give Rolls-Royce a run for its money — and we'll all be better off for it.
One other thing of note from the press release is the lack of any mention of autonomous driving. This is a car, it seems, that is meant to be driven. Now we just have to convince Mercedes to build it.
resource from: The verge
LeEco raises 1.08 Billion to develop its own electric vehicle
Uber's new selfie check helps make sure riders get the driver they're promised
Cruise has around 30 self-driving test cars on roads right now
Vinli tops the car apps market, adds Meineke and Cox for distribution
Volkswagen and Anhui Jianghuai in talks on building EVs for China
Missouri court rules against Tesla selling at its own dealerships in the state
Watch a Volvo executive play chicken with a self-driving truck in an underground mine
AAA says that its emergency electric vehicle charging trucks served “thousands” of EVs without power
- Toyota is Working With the U.S. Dept of Energy to Advance ‘Megawatt-Scale’ Fuel Cell Powered Stationary Energy Generators
- Rivian is Laying Off 6% of its Workforce, Citing Erratic Economy
- Tesla Rival NIO Reports a Record 31,607 Electric Vehicles Deliveries in Q3 as Demand Grows
- Qualcomm Ventures Invests in ThunderX, a Company Developing a Domain Controller-based Intelligent Vehicle Compute Platform
- BorgWarner to Supply its Integrated Drive Module to Hyundai for a New EV That Will Enter Production in 2024
- Uber and its Technology Partner Aurora to Expand Autonomous Trucking Pilot in Texas
- Volvo Cars and Epic Games to Partner on a High-Resolution 3D Digital Driver’s Display Powered by the Unreal Engine
- Acura Prevision EV Concept Previews Brand’s Electric Future
- SK Inc. Invests $100 Million in North Carolina-based EV Charging Hardware Developer Atom Power
- LG Develops ‘Invisible’ Speaker Sound Technology That Could Revolutionize In-Vehicle Audio