Autoliv to Acquire LiDAR and Time of Flight Camera Expertise From Fotonic
【Summary】Autoliv, a worldwide leader in automotive safety systems, has signed an agreement to acquire certain assets of a Swedish based LiDAR specialist company Fotonic.
STOCKHOLM — Autoliv, a worldwide leader in automotive safety systems, has signed an agreement to acquire certain assets of a Swedish based LiDAR specialist company Fotonic.
Located in Stockholm and Skellefteå, Sweden, Fotonic is a LiDAR and Time of Flight camera specialist that designs, develops, and manufactures these products. The acquisition represents a transfer of certain intellectual property rights, development and prototyping assets and development resources of Fotonic, including about 35 engineering experts in the field of LiDAR and Time of Flight cameras.
LiDAR is an essential technology for autonomous car development and helps a self-driving car 'see' and navigate its environment.
"LiDAR and Time of Flight cameras are important sensors to make autonomous driving a reality. We are very pleased that this strong and knowledgeable team is joining our company, thereby further improving Autoliv's already strong competence and expertise in LiDAR and vision algorithms," says Johan Löfvenholm, President Autoliv Electronics.
The announcement complements the collaboration with Velodyne. The transaction is expected to close before year-end 2017, and is subject to customary closing conditions. The acquired assets and resources will become part of the Autoliv Electronics segment.
Originally hailing from New Jersey, Eric is a automotive & technology reporter covering the high-tech industry here in Silicon Valley. He has over 15 years of automotive experience and a bachelors degree in computer science. These skills, combined with technical writing and news reporting, allows him to fully understand and identify new and innovative technologies in the auto industry and beyond. He has worked at Uber on self-driving cars and as a technical writer, helping people to understand and work with technology.
Lidar Pioneer Velodyne to Become a Public Company in a Reverse Merger Deal
Toyota Launches its Vehicle Throttle Suppression System to Prevent Unintended Acceleration
Chinese EV Startup BYTON to Suspend Operations for 6 Months, the Company’s Future is Uncertain
Xpeng Motors Begins Deliveries of its Electric P7 ‘Smart Sedan’, Creates New Competition for Tesla in China
Amazon Signs Agreement to Buy Self-Driving Startup Zoox for More Than $1 Billion
Electric Truck Startup Lordstown Motors Unveils its Battery-Powered Endurance Pickup
Tesla Under Investigation by the NHTSA Over Failing Touchscreen Displays in the Model S
Lyft is Tapping its Drivers to Collect Data for Improving its Self-Driving Vehicles and Build HD Maps
- Ford Mustang Mach-E Coming With Over-the-Air Updates
- Chinese Startup Pony.ai Introduces Contactless Delivery Using Autonomous Cars
- Self-Driving Startup AutoX Deploys its Robotaxis in Shanghai
- Chinese Battery Maker BYD to Supply EV Batteries to Ford Motor Company
- The Cadillac Celestiq Will be the Luxury Brand’s New Hand-Built Flagship Sedan
- Auto Parts Supplier Visteon Expects Global Auto Output to Fall by 25%, Despite Early Signs of Recovery
- Uber is Leading a $170 Million Investment in Electric Scooter Sharing Startup Lime
- Waymo, Others Stop Testing Self-Driving Cars on California Roads Due to the Coronavirus
- Uber Shares Surge 37% After its CEO Says the Ride-Hailing Giant Has $10 Billion in Cash to Weather the Coronavirus Crisis
- Air Taxi Startup Lilium Raises $240 Million in Fundraising Round Led By Tencent