Autoliv to Acquire LiDAR and Time of Flight Camera Expertise From Fotonic
【Summary】Autoliv, a worldwide leader in automotive safety systems, has signed an agreement to acquire certain assets of a Swedish based LiDAR specialist company Fotonic.
STOCKHOLM — Autoliv, a worldwide leader in automotive safety systems, has signed an agreement to acquire certain assets of a Swedish based LiDAR specialist company Fotonic.
Located in Stockholm and Skellefteå, Sweden, Fotonic is a LiDAR and Time of Flight camera specialist that designs, develops, and manufactures these products. The acquisition represents a transfer of certain intellectual property rights, development and prototyping assets and development resources of Fotonic, including about 35 engineering experts in the field of LiDAR and Time of Flight cameras.
LiDAR is an essential technology for autonomous car development and helps a self-driving car 'see' and navigate its environment.
"LiDAR and Time of Flight cameras are important sensors to make autonomous driving a reality. We are very pleased that this strong and knowledgeable team is joining our company, thereby further improving Autoliv's already strong competence and expertise in LiDAR and vision algorithms," says Johan Löfvenholm, President Autoliv Electronics.
The announcement complements the collaboration with Velodyne. The transaction is expected to close before year-end 2017, and is subject to customary closing conditions. The acquired assets and resources will become part of the Autoliv Electronics segment.
Originally from New Jersey, Eric is an automotive and technology reporter specializing in the high-tech industry in Silicon Valley. Eric has over fifteen years of automotive experience and a B.A. in computer science. These skills, combined with technical writing and news reporting, allows him to fully understand and identify new and innovative technologies in the automotive industry and beyond. He has worked on self-driving cars and as a technical writer, helping people to understand and work with technology. Outside of work, Eric likes to travel to new places, play guitar, and explore the outdoors.
Cornell Researchers Discover a New Way For Self-Driving Cars to ‘See’ Nearly as Well as Lidar Using Two Cameras
Velodyne & Nikon Announce Manufacturing Deal to Mass Produce Lidar Sensors for Self-Driving Cars
Ford Invests $500 Million in Electric Truck Startup Rivian, Is There an Electric F-150 Coming Soon?
EV Startup Lucid Motors Appoints Former Tesla VP of Vehicle Engineering as CEO
Tesla Shares Details of its New Self-Driving Chipset at ‘Autonomy Investor Day’
Uber Looking to Sell a Minority Stake in its Autonomous Vehicle Unit
Daimler Acquires Stake in Sila Technologies to Develop Next-Gen EV Batteries
EV Startup XPENG Motors Debuts its New P7 Electric Coupe at Auto Shanghai
- Singapore Develops Driverless Solutions for the Elderly
- Daimler AG Looking to increase its Stake in BAIC Motors, its Joint Venture Partner in China
- HERE Technologies Develops New Map Data That Includes Cell Signal Strength for Connected Cars
- FCA to Pay Tesla Hundreds of Millions of Euros for Emission Credits or Face Hefty Fines from the EU
- California Introductions Regulations to Allow Light-Duty Self-Driving Truck Testing
- Lidar Startups Innoviz & Ouster Raise Millions to Supply Tech for Self-Driving Cars
- Fisker to Announce $40,000 Electric Vehicle
- Boston Startup Optimus Ride to Deploy Driverless Shuttles in New York
- The Trump Administration Says Ending the EV Tax Credit Will Save Taxpayers $2.5 Billion, Automakers Want it Extended
- Volvo to Build the XC40 SUV in China to Meet High Demand