GM President Dan Ammann Discusses The Cruise AV Self-Driving Car in New Video
【Summary】GM President, Dan Ammann, recently spoke with CNBC to discuss GM’s latest Cruise AV self-driving car and explained the vehicle in greater detail.
General Motors is ready to usher in a brave new world. The company garnered much attention with its new Cruise AV — a car without a steering wheel or pedals. GM President, Dan Ammann, recently spoke with CNBC to discuss GM's latest Cruise AV self-driving car and explained the vehicle in greater detail.
Ammann touches on multiple topics, but foremost, he talks about safety as a number one priority. Per Ammann, the entire project stems from safety first. Cruise Automation has detailed the systems in greater detail. GM's self-driving Cruise boasts numerous redundancies to ensure nothing can go wrong, especially when there's no choice for the passenger to retake control.
He also said GM isn't worried about the current infrastructure, either. Instead, GM and Cruise engineers worked to develop it self-driving car systems with today's infrastructure and felt waiting around for new investments wasn't the best game to play. We still don't know how self-driving cars operate in extreme weather conditions, however, and we've yet to see any prototype tackle snowy and icy conditions.
GM revealed its Cruise AV earlier this month without driver controls and also announced it submitted a safety petition to the Department of Transportation to deploy the car on public roads for commercial use in 2019. The first GM self-driving cars will be deployed in ride-hailing services.
resource from: CNBC.com
Originally from New Jersey, Eric is a automotive & technology reporter covering the high-tech industry in Silicon Valley. Eric has over 15 years of automotive experience and a bachelors degree in computer science. These skills, combined with technical writing and news reporting, allows him to fully understand and identify new and innovative technologies in the auto industry and beyond. He has worked at Uber on self-driving cars and as a technical writer, helping people to understand and work with technology. Outside of work, Eric likes to travel to new places, play guitar, and explore the outdoors.
Porsche Ventures Invests in Israeli Vision Sensor Start-up TriEye
Electrify America & EVgo Announce Agreement Giving EV Drivers Access to Each Company’s Charging Network
Waymo is Sharing its Massive Self-Driving Dataset With Researchers
Tesla Reveals Specs of its New AI-Powered Full Self-Driving Computer
Waymo is Headed to Florida to See How its Self-Driving Vehicles Perform in the Rain
Russia's Yandex is Looking to Grow its Self-Driving Car Fleet Tenfold to Accelerate Developement
UPS Buys Stake in Self-Driving Truck Startup TuSimple, Testing Deliveries Since May
Continental Develops a ‘Road AND Driver’ Camera System for Autonomous Vehicles
- Peloton Technology Develops Tech to Give One Truck Driver Control Over Multiple Vehicles
- 'WeShare' is the New Electric Car Sharing Service from Volkswagen
- Ford Smart Mobility Subsidiary Autonomic Announces Partnership with Compact EV Maker Ayro Inc
- Tesla Denied Tariff Exemption for Chinese-made CPU in the Model 3
- BMW’s Electric Roadster Concept Motorcycle Features the Company's Iconic Boxer Engine Profile
- Cars Are Being Reinvented to Keep Up With Autonomous Tech
- BMW's Hybrid cars to Switch to Electric-Only Mode in Polluted Cities
- Argo AI Begins Testing Self-Driving Fords in Detroit
- Tesla Delivers a Record Number of Electric Vehicles in the Quarter
- Here’s Everything You Need to Know About the Compact 2020 Honda E Prototype