Google reportedly launching Waze ride-share carpooling in San Francisco
【Summary】Google reportedly launching Waze ride-share carpooling in San Francisco.
IT'S TIME TO imagine, design, and develop a new breed of urban vehicle. Something that will minimize the human footprint, that can operate year round in any weather, and run on electricity instead of gasoline.
That's the thinking behind the Cyclotron, a concept I created, inspired by the Tron Light Cycle and Lit Motors' self-balancing C1.
Inside this enclosed, autonomous motorcycle, two passengers would sit facing one another, given a rare chance to relax, chat, and get to know one another (or ignore each other and look at their phones).
A gyroscopic system like that on the C1 would keep the vehicle stable at all times, even when fully stopped—no need to put your feet down to keep from tipping over. The electric motor would send power to both wheels for improved traction in winter conditions, or power just one to conserve power. I imagine you'd want to change the tire tread depending on the season, maybe adding studs for icy roads.
Each Cyclotron would recharge with wireless power transfer and would be allowed to buy and sell electricity in real time to other nearby vehicles depending each vehicle's stores and requirements. The interior of the Cyclotron would feature two adjustable seats. Both butterfly doors would be able open and drop you off on either side of the street since the bike can travel in both directions.
It's autonomous, so no need to steer—just tell it where to go. Or, let it access your agenda and figure it out for itself.
I'll let your imagination fill in the rest of the cool features: heated and cooled seats and cup holders, climate-controlled cabin, surround sound or a noise canceling system, and so on.
The Cyclotron would work as a personal vehicle or as a shared transit system like my Gotoo concept. Green Taxi operators like Montreal's TEO could even buy them and operate them in fleets across North America. They would definitely help reduce road congestion and the energy required to commute compared to existing electric cars due to their smaller size.
I developed the Cyclotron concept with Ashish Thulkar, a freelance industrial designer at the Indian Institute of Science.
resource from: The verge
Elon Musk confident that Tesla can attain staggering 20-fold increase in production speed in Fremont
Tesla responds to Mobileye’s comments on Autopilot, confirms new in-house ‘Tesla Vision’ product
Uber will repay thousands of riders for misleading them about tips
Faraday Future adds top VW executive to bring to market its upcoming electric vehicles
Hyperloop track construction in California is delayed
Federal funds to back Portland storefront for electric-car marketing, pop-up roadshows
Tesla announces a partnership in South Korea for first store and 25 charging stations
DOE small biz voucher awards include vehicles and fuel cells
- EV Startup Faraday Future Announces $225 Million in Bridge Financing
- Car Rental Company Hertz Launching a Monthly Vehicle Subscription Service
- How Do Autonomous Cars Deal with Double-parked Vehicles?
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk Says the Automaker is On Track for the Biggest Sales Quarter in its History
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk Claims Automaker Will Be out of Money Within 10 Months, Launches “Hardcore” Changes
- Former Tesla VP of Production Joins Rival Electric Automaker Lucid Motors
- Toyota AI Ventures Announces New $100 Million Fund for Autonomous Mobility and Robotics
- Driverless Software Startup Immense Simulations Receives $4.6 Million in Series A Funding
- Waymo to Bring Driverless Cars to France and Japan via Nissan-Renault Partnership
- Driverless Sensor Startup Sense Photonics Raises $26 Million in Series A Funding