Buick Enspire Electric Concept SUV to Debut in China on April 17
【Summary】The General Motors Buick brand continues to distance itself from its stodgy past with the global debut of the Enspire, an all new all-electric concept SUV. The vehicle will be unveiled at Buick Brand Night on 17 April in Wuzhen, Zhejiang.
SHANGHAI — General Motors' Buick brand continues to distance itself from its stodgy past with the global debut of the Enspire, an all new all-electric concept SUV. The vehicle will be unveiled at Buick Brand Night on 17 April in Wuzhen, Zhejiang.
Buick's new electric SUV will also be on display at Auto China 2018 in Beijing, which begins later this month.
Although many details about the new vehicle are still not known, Buick said that the Enspire leverages GM's global resources and is an exploration of design and new technologies. It is the brand's latest example of innovation and application of future electric smart mobility. GM released a teaser photo showing the sleek tail lights of the new vehicle.
Buick has sold over 9 million vehicles in China since its introduction by SAIC-GM in 1998.
Last week, Buick said it will add two new models to its Chinese portfolio – the VELITE 6 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle and VELITE 6 electric vehicle – to tap into the fast-growing domestic demand for new energy vehicles.
The new models will leverage electrification and connectivity technology from GM and its partners, including Buick's newest eMotion electric propulsion technology. They are based on the VELITE Concept new energy vehicle that was unveiled in November 2016.
Although the Buick brand has lost popularity in the U.S. the storied brand remains widely popular in China. Buick is GM's best-selling brand in China and accounts for 25% of GM's total vehicle sales with 1.18 million units sold. In 2017, GM sold 4,040,789 units in China, its highest sales volume ever recorded in the country.
Buick's leading position in the mainstream passenger car market was strengthened by seven new product launches in 2017. They included the GL6 MPV and Excelle GX wagon, which feature GM's new highly efficient Ecotec 1.0T and 1.3T turbocharged engines.
The new models will join the Regal Hybrid, VELITE 5 extended-range electric vehicle and LaCrosse Hybrid in Buick's electrified lineup in China.
Toyota Investing $500 million in Uber to Develop Driverless Cars
Tesla Shares Sink as CEO Elon Musk Gives Revealing New York Times Interview
Silicon Valley Lidar Maker Quanergy Systems Puts its Planned IPO on Hold
Nikola Motor Raises $100 Million This Month for its Hydrogen-Powered Trucks
GM Seeks Tariff Protection for the Envision, a Popular Chinese-Made SUV
Toyota Looks to Expand Production & Lower Costs of Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles
Lyft Buys Bike Sharing Company Motivate, Parent of New York-Based CitiBike
Boston to Allow City-Wide Testing of Self-Driving Cars
- Volkswagen Reports a 3.3% Drop in Vehicle Deliveries for July
- HERE Technologies Making it Easier for Drivers to Navigate with New Partnership
- Lyft Offering Data From Level 5 Autonomous Fleet to Public
- Quick Comparison: Long Range Tesla Model X vs. the BMW X5 50i
- GM Says its Vehicle Lineup Will Be Capable of Receiving OTA Updates Beginning in 2023
- Volkswagen Investing $2.6 Billion in Ford’s Self-Driving Arm Argo AI and Will Collaborate On Electric & Autonomous Vehicles
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk Says the Automaker is On Track for the Biggest Sales Quarter in its History
- How Do Autonomous Cars Deal with Double-parked Vehicles?
- General Motors Teases Ultra Cruise Technology During Conference Call
- Toyota Testing New Solar Panels to Increase EV Range