BMW to Launch a Ride-Hailing Service In China
【Summary】German automaker BMW plans to launch ride-hailing service in China next month, becoming the first global automaker to obtain a license to pick up passengers in China, the fast-growing on-demand mobility market.
BEIJING — German automaker BMW plans to launch ride-hailing service in China next month, becoming the first global automaker to obtain a license to pick up passengers in China, the fast-growing on-demand mobility market.
BMW announced that its subsidiary BMW Mobility Service Ltd, was granted a ride-hailing license in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province in China's southwest, BMW said.
China's ride-hailing market is experiencing rapid growth and is worth around $23 billion, more than all other ride-hailing markets combined. China's Didi Chuxing is the biggest player, accounting for 90 percent of all bookings since taking over Uber's China business, consulting firm Bain & Co said to Reuters.
BMW already faces competition in China. Meituan Dache, the ride-hailing arm of Tencent-backed food delivery group Meituan Dianping, is expanding to compete with both food delivery service Eleme and Didi Chuxing. Meituan Dache expanded its new ride-hailing service to Shanghai in March, its second city after testing it for 11 months in Nanjing.
BMW's German rival Daimler said in October it was setting up a ride-hailing venture in China with Geely Group, the parent company of Swedish automaker Volvo.
In addition to becoming the first automaker to obtain a license to begin a ride-hailing service, BMW become the first foreign automaker to take a majority control of a China joint venture. In October, BMW said it would increase its stake in its 50/50 Chinese joint venture with Brilliance China Automotive Holdings Ltd to 75 percent from 50 percent.
China announced in April its was lifting the 50 percent cap that foreign automakers can own of local joint ventures, a rule in place since 1994.
Originally hailing from New Jersey, Eric is a automotive & technology reporter covering the high-tech industry here in Silicon Valley. He has over 15 years of automotive experience and a bachelors degree in computer science. These skills, combined with technical writing and news reporting, allows him to fully understand and identify new and innovative technologies in the auto industry and beyond. He has worked at Uber on self-driving cars and as a technical writer, helping people to understand and work with technology.
Ford is Testing a New Robotic Charging Station to Assist Drivers of EVs With Disabilities
Ford Raises the Prices of the F-150 Lightning Electric Pickup Due to Rising Raw Material Costs
The BMW 7-Series to Feature HD Live Maps From HERE Technologies for Hands-Free Highway Driving in North America at Speeds up to 80 MPH
AutoX to Use the 'Eyeonic Vision Sensor' from California-based SiLC Technologies for its Robotaxi Fleet in China
LG Develops ‘Invisible’ Speaker Sound Technology That Could Revolutionize In-Vehicle Audio
Researchers at South Korea’s Chung-Ang University Develop a ‘Meta-Reinforcement’ Machine Learning Algorithm for Traffic Lights to Improve Vehicle Throughput
Zeekr’s New 009 Electric Passenger Van is the World’s First EV to Feature CATL’s Advanced ‘Qilin’ Battery With a Range of 510 Miles
Redwood Materials is Building an Electric Vehicle Battery Recycling Facility in South Carolina
- BMW i Ventures Invests in Vendia, a Next-Gen Blockchain Company Helping Businesses to Securely Share Data With Third Parties
- Zeekr’s New 009 Electric Passenger Van is the World’s First EV to Feature CATL’s Advanced ‘Qilin’ Battery With a Range of 510 Miles
- Toyota to Collaborate with Redwood Materials to Build a Closed Loop, EV Battery Recycling Ecosystem in the U.S.
- EV Startup VinFast is Offering 3 Years of Free EV Charging and Advanced Driver Assist System for Customers That Reserve a Vehicle Through Sept 30
- China Has Installed Around 4.7 Million Electric Vehicle Charging Poles as of October 2022
- Porsche Looking to Boost its Profits as its Prepares for a 2022 IPO That Could Value the Company as High as $81.4 Billion
- Mercedes-Benz is Partnering with Game Engine Developer Unity Technologies to Create Immersive, 3D Infotainment Screens and Displays for its Future Vehicles
- Acura Prevision EV Concept Previews Brand’s Electric Future
- GM Expanding First Responder Training Program for EV Crashes
- Tesla Challenger NIO Inc Reports its Highest-Ever Monthly Sales in June