Volkswagen ID Lounge Luxury SUV to Rival the Tesla Model X
【Summary】VW's luxury SUV concept dubbed ID Lounge will be showcased at the upcoming 2019 Shanghai motor show.
German car manufacturer Volkswagen is charging ahead with its electrification plan like a force of nature. With mandates imposed on the company as a result of the Dieselgate fallout, the company is not wasting any time in developing its electric offerings.
VW's luxury SUV concept dubbed ID Lounge will be showcased at the upcoming 2019 Auto Shanghai car show.
The ID Lounge concept is a Touareg sized electric SUV, set to rival the likes of the Tesla Model X & the new Rivian R1S SUV which was recently showcased at the 2018 Los Angeles Motor Show.
The electric SUV Concept has been designed to be the top of the range luxurious variant in the company's electric car portfolio. The exterior dimensions of the ID are similar to that of the 3rd Generation Volkswagen Touareg.
This can be credited to the fact that the SUV's foundation is the largest version of Volkswagen's MEB platform. This platform gets a 3300 mm wheelbase, which is also shared with the Volkswagon ID Buzz MPV van.
ID Lounge will will also compete with the Nio ES8 and Audi e-tron. The ID Lounge will also get and an all-wheel drive setup. This powertrain incorporates two electric motors, one to power the front wheels and the other powers the rear wheels. This dual motor electric powertrain produces a combined power output of 369 HP.
Earlier the year, Volkswagen hinted that the most luxurious ID models in its portfolio will get an 111 kWh lithium-ion battery pack with an all-electric driving range of 372 miles.
Volkswagen plans on introducing the ID Lounge along with two other electric SUVs by the end of 2021. In addition, Volkswagen plans to introduce two variants of ID Crozz SUV. The higher riding SUV models will get their own distinctive body type.
The first ID Crozz SUV will be introduced in 2021 with a more practical mass-market appeal, whereas a more stylized coupe type variant will be launched in 2022.
Manish Kharinta is a automotive writer based in the Los Angeles area. He has worked for automotive industry websites TheSmokingClutch.com, CarDekho.com and CarBikeindia.com. His experience ranges from covering auto shows, to car reviews and breaking automotive news. Manish aims to bring forth his unique perspective on automotive design and technological innovations in the automotive industry.
The Model Y is the First Tesla Model to Use a Heat Pump
BMW Confirms the Next 7 Series Will Come with an Electric, Hybrid, Diesel or Gas Powertrain
Documents Submitted by Tesla in China Hint at a Production Increase at the Company’s Shanghai Gigafactory
The Cadillac Celestiq Will be the Luxury Brand’s New Hand-Built Flagship Sedan
Hyundai's Kona Electric SUV Will Get a Range Boost to 301 Miles Starting This Month
Cadillac Will Reveal its First Ever Electric Vehicle in April
Volvo Trucks' All-Electric VNR Truck Pilot Program is Showcased in California
General Motors Will Offer Sneak Peek into its Electric Future During Company’s Upcoming ‘EV Day'
- Tesla is Planning to Use Cobalt-Free Batteries for its Electric Vehicles Built in China
- Gordon Murray Reimagines Transportation as Electric Autonomous Pod
- General Motors Announces a $20 Billion Investment Electrification and Reveals its New Global EV Platform as the Automaker Looks to Take on Tesla
- China’s Auto Sales Plummet 92% This Month as Coronavirus Fears Put the Brakes on New Car Sales
- President Trump Sign Executive Order to Study Threats to the U.S. Global Positioning System
- Honda Planning to Debut Level 3 Autonomous Car in Japan Next Year
- New U.S. Car Brand Vantas Plans to Build & Sell its China-designed Vehicles in North America
- GM’s Luxury Brand Cadillac May Become Fully-Electric by 2030, Exec Says
- Tesla’s New Mega Battery Pack Could Boost Range to 400 Miles
- Tesla’s Latest Stock Surge Raises its Market Value Higher Than Rivals GM & Ford Combined