Mapping Company HERE Technologies to Supply Audi Vehicles with Live Traffic Data
【Summary】High definition mapping company HERE Technologies was selected by automaker Audi as its traffic data provider for all new models sold across North America and Europe, beginning in the first half of 2019.
High definition mapping company HERE Technologies was selected by automaker Audi as its traffic data provider for all new models sold across North America and Europe, beginning in the first half of 2019.
Audi will use the company's Real-Time Traffic service, which provides drivers with up-to-the-minute information about road conditions and incidents such as accidents. The agreement also extends to Volkswagen Group sister brands Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Porsche.
"This is a landmark win for HERE Technologies and underscores how far we've advanced our traffic service in the last three years," said Peter Kürpick, Chief Platform Officer at HERE Technologies. "Drivers will enjoy innovative features such as lane-level traffic flow and incident data as well as benefit from our sustained investment in quality. All parties competing for this contract were subjected to extensive ground truth testing of their data, and we're delighted to have come out on top. This is fantastic momentum as we further scale our traffic service to enhance driving enjoyment for millions."
Audi models shipping later in 2019 will benefit from several new features from HERE, including predictive traffic forecasts, as well as information about specific lane closures and traffic flow for specific lanes on arterial roads, including high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes. The is especially useful for commuters during rush hour and can help reduce traffic bottlenecks.
To use the service, the vehicle needs to be equipped with the automaker's "Audi Connect" subscription, the company's suite of connected services including navigation, GPS, parking availability and voice recognition.
HERE Real-Time Traffic aggregates and analyzes data from multiple sources, including vehicle sensor data from competing automotive brands. The company offers drivers an accurate depiction of real-world traffic conditions.
Audi plans to enable HERE Real-Time Traffic for older models as well. In North America, all Audi vehicles equipped with an active Audi Connect subscription will have access to the service.
The live traffic service can be further enhanced by Audi's Traffic Light Information technology, which is available on select 2017 and newer Audi models. The feature enables Audi vehicles to communicate directly traffic signals. The car receives real-time signal information from the advanced traffic management system that monitors city traffic lights via the vehicle's built-in 4G LTE data connection. A display on the dash shows a countdown timer, letting the driver know the percies time the light will turn green.
In 2015, HERE was purchased by a consortium of German automakers including Audi, BMW and Daimler for 2.8 billion euros ($2.9 billion). The company is based in Amsterdam.
HERE says its technology is already embedded into more than 100 million vehicles worldwide.
Panasonic Unveils a Large Prototype Battery That’s Designed to Help Tesla Lower EV Production Costs
The Apple Car Project Has Reportedly Stalled Due to Unreasonable Demands Put on Chinese Battery Suppliers CATL & BYD
The Netherlands Forensic Institute Claims it Has Decoded Tesla's Vehicle Data By Reverse Engineering
Volkswagen’s China-made ID.3 Electric Car Will Officially Launch on Oct 22
Toyota to Invest $3.4 Billion Through 2030 in Electric Vehicle Battery Production in the U.S.
Volkswagen Group’s Electric Vehicle Sales Double in Q3, YTD Sales Are Up 138% Compared to 2020
Lucid to Open its First Canadian Retail Location in Vancouver, Announces Pricing for the First Time Outside of the U.S.
Japan’s Honda to Launch a New Electric Vehicle Brand in China Next Year
- General Motors is Quickly Reducing its Backlog of Parked Pickup Trucks Due to Semiconductor Shortages
- General Motors is Opening a New Engineering Center in Michigan to Develop Low Cost & Advanced EV Batteries
- Uber Freight Aims to Build the World’s Most Comprehensive Logistics Network with its $2.25 Billion Acquisition of Transplace
- EV Startup Fisker Inc. Announces a $600 Million Green Convertible Senior Notes Offering
- Luxury Brand Mercedes-Benz to Go All-Electric by 2030
- Tesla Agrees to Pay Model S Owners $1.5 Million For Reducing Battery Power in Their Vehicles
- Aviation Startup Lilium and ABB Announce Plans to Build a MegaWatt eVTOL Charging Network
- Autonomous Trucking Startup Locomation & ZF to Jointly Develop Electric Steering Systems That Support Automated Highway Driving
- The Netherlands Forensic Institute Claims it Has Decoded Tesla's Vehicle Data By Reverse Engineering
- Tesla Installed its 7,000th Supercharger in China This Month as it Eyes Expansion in the World’s Biggest Auto Market