Tesla Model 3 Sets New Delivery Record in Norway
【Summary】In March, a total of 3,593 Model 3 sedans have been registered in Norway, making the electric vehicle the best-selling battery-powered vehicle in the country.
It's only been a few weeks since Tesla started selling the Model 3 in Europe and the electric-only sedan has become a massive hit in the electric-crazy country of Norway. According to Teslastats.no, there have been a total of 3,593 Model 3 sedans that have been registered in Norway so far in the month of March, and there's still some time to go.
Tesla Tops The Charts
With that incredible figure, Tesla's Model 3 has beaten the previous record holder, the Nissan Leaf, by 65 percent. The Nissan Leaf set the record last March, but Tesla's latest electric car has set the new standard. This is obviously good news for Tesla, as Norway is the American automaker's fourth largest market. It's also great news because the Model 3 is meant to be Tesla's most affordable foray into the wonderful world of electrics, so it's doing exactly what it's meant to.
While this is excellent news for the Model 3 and great news for Tesla overall, it doesn't bode well for the automaker's other vehicles. Forbes claims that the Model 3's popularity is coming at the expensive of the Model S and the Model X – the automaker's more upstream offerings.
"Despite Tesla Model 3 topping Western Europe's electric car market in its first month of European deliveries in February – accounting for 18 percent of the pure electric car market – the boost is also coming at the expense of its flagship Model S model expected to record a big fall in first quarter sales," said Matthias Schmidt, Berlin-based automotive industry analyst.
Can The Model 3 Continue To Do Well?
While some will claim that they saw the Model 3's popularity coming, the EV does have some impressive specs, others were surprised to see the electric sedan do so well in its first month. Felipe Munoz, global automotive analyst at JATO Dynamics, was one of those people that were surprised.
"The hotly anticipated car excelled during its first full month on the European market and because the best selling BEV (battery electric vehicle)," said Munoz. "The Model 3 quickly outsold other big players like the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe, despite being more expensive and only available for a short amount of time." Munoz claimed that the Model 3's success is remarkable, and out of the ordinary, as it usually takes half a year to get these kind of results.
Norway has been one of the more popular places for electric cars thanks to tax breaks and other benefits, including discounts for toll roads and discounts on parking. The former makes electrified machines much more affordable than in other parts of the world. Norway also has an extensive network of charging stations, which makes it easier to live with an EV.
With the Model 3 doing so well in its first month, it wouldn't be surprising to see the electric sedan continue its popularity throughout the year. EVs, after all, are incredibly popular in the country.
Vineeth Joel Patel
Joel Patel has been covering all aspects of the automotive industry for four years as an editor and freelance writer for various websites. When it comes to cars, he enjoys covering the merger between technology and cars. In his spare time, Joel likes to watch baseball, work on his car, and try new foods
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Now PHEV Only
Acura Prevision EV Concept Previews Brand’s Electric Future
Hyundai Gets Serious About Electric Performance Cars, Shows off Two Concepts
Ford Looks to Have 100% of EV Sales Be Online
Volkswagen CEO Believes It Will Overtake Tesla in EV Sales by 2025
Report Claims Nissan Leaf Will Be Discontinued by 2025
Autonomous Vehicles Will Require Cities to Change Their Transportation Methods
Rivian, Mercedes-Benz Partner to Produce Electric Commercial Vans
- Mercedes-Benz is Partnering with Game Engine Developer Unity Technologies to Create Immersive, 3D Infotainment Screens and Displays for its Future Vehicles
- Waymo To Partner With Uber Freight on Autonomous Logistics for the Trucking Industry
- Zeekr’s New 009 Electric Passenger Van is the World’s First EV to Feature CATL’s Advanced ‘Qilin’ Battery With a Range of 510 Miles
- Ford Looks to Have 100% of EV Sales Be Online
- Hyundai's 2022 IONIQ 5 Electric SUV Awarded an IIHS 'Top Safety Plus' Rating
- Volvo’s Parent Company Geely Launches a New Outdoor Lifestyle EV Brand Named 'RADAR'
- BorgWarner to Supply its Integrated Drive Module to Hyundai for a New EV That Will Enter Production in 2024
- Volvo Cars and Epic Games to Partner on a High-Resolution 3D Digital Driver’s Display Powered by the Unreal Engine
- New Intelligent EV Company JiDU Reveals its Revolutionary Concept Production 'Robocar'
- Tesla Rival XPeng Inc. to Start Deliveries of its New Flagship G9 Electric SUV in September, CEO Confirms After Sharing New Details