Comparison: Rivian R1T Electric Pickup Truck VS. Ford F150
【Summary】Some recently confirmed specs of the electric R1T pickup imply that it might be able to take on the best selling conventional pickup truck of all time, the Ford F-150.
Recently electric truck startup Rivian hosted an event for its pre-order customers in Denver, Colorado, where it showcased both its R1T electric pickup truck and the R1S electric SUV. Present at the event was the company CEO, R.J. Scaringe and he provided details about the company's upcoming electric pickup truck.
Some recently confirmed specifications of the R1T pickup implies that it might be able to take on the best selling conventional pickup truck of all time, the Ford F-150.
Rivian claims that with its state of the art technology, the R1T has a competitive advantage over the iconic pickup from the blue oval brand.
In terms of performance, the R1T surpasses the Ford F150 by miles. The base XL model of Ford F-150 for example gets a 3.3-liter gasoline-powered engine, which produces 290 horsepower of power whereas even the standard low-range variant of R1T features a 400 horsepower electric powertrain.
Even the 3.5-liter V6 Ecoboost engine, which Ford claims to be ‘best in class' only manages to produce 450 horsepower, which seems unimpressive as compared to the mid-range and long-range models of R1T which produce 750 horsepower and 700 horsepower respectively.
Rivian is not putting all of its eggs in the performance basket and feels that the R1T's unique chassis and handling characteristics will set the electric pickup apart from the competition.
In addition, the R1T will feature state-of-the-art traction control and all-wheel-drive system. Rivian also claims that this technology will deliver the optimum level of traction by using the system to take control of each wheel independently.
Rivian reasons that not only will this help R1T pickup truck deliver impressive handling characteristics, but will also permit the electric truck to carry out challenging tasks like heavy duty off-roading.
Rivian's CEO also said that the company will prioritize service and is working diligently on developing a sevice network that caters to owners in smaller towns, as well as in larger cities like Los Angeles.
Even though Ford's F150 is a commendable offroader, it is quite likely that the R1T is on track to become the best offroader in both the electric and gas-powered pickup segments with its impressive power specs, instantaneous torque, and state-of-the-art traction and all-wheel-drive system.
Manish Kharinta is a automotive writer based in the Los Angeles area. He has worked for automotive industry websites TheSmokingClutch.com, CarDekho.com and CarBikeindia.com. His experience ranges from covering auto shows, to car reviews and breaking automotive news. Manish aims to bring forth his unique perspective on automotive design and technological innovations in the automotive industry.
Electric Performance Brand Polestar Plans to Double the Number of 'Polestar Spaces' Around the World
Audi Exec Hints at the Possibility of a Plug-In Hybrid R8
A 740 HP Electrified Porsche Panamera May Join the Current Lineup
Here’s What You Need to Know About Volkswagen’s All-New Golf eHybrid & GTE
BMW Introduces the 330e Touring PHEV with All-Wheel-Drive Option
The Genesis eG80 is the Latest All-Electric Luxury Sedan from Hyundai
Tesla's Latest Software Update Unlocks New Features and Functions
Quick Comparison: The Mercedes-Benz EQS vs the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan
- Tesla To Hold its Battery Day on Sept 15th, Elon Musk Touts it as ‘One of the Most of Exciting Days in Tesla’s History’
- Waymo Was Able to Test Autonomous Vehicles at Its Fake City During COVID-19
- Ford Motor Co. is Working on Automated Valet Parking for its Future Vehicles
- Coreshell Technologies, a California Startup Working to Solve EV Battery Degradation Raises $4 Million
- TomTom is Supplying Maps, Software and User Interface for Maserati’s New Intelligent Assistant (MIA) Infotainment System
- Electric Performance Brand Polestar Plans to Double the Number of 'Polestar Spaces' Around the World
- Tesla Shares Fall 21% After S&P 500 Exclusion & GM Acquires a Stake in Rival Nikola Motor
- General Motors Ultium EV Batteries to Feature Wireless Management System
- Audi Expands Electrified Lineup With Plug-In Hybrid Version of A7 Sedan
- Tesla Planning a New U.S. Battery Factory as Part of its ‘Roadrunner’ Project