Rumor Mill: The BMW M140e Hatchback to Feature a 400 HP Electrified Powertrain
【Summary】There are rumors surfacing of an electrified hot-hatchback dubbed the “BMW M140e.” What makes this electric hatchback just as exciting as other offerings from BMW is that the M140e is expected to churn out 400 horsepower.
Premium automaker BMW didn't mince words when it announced the company's electrification plan. As reported earlier, the German automaker's electrification plans are currently underway and running two years ahead of schedule.
BMW is adamant on introducing a wide-ranging electrified portfolio, which will include 25 new models that the automaker plans to introduce over the next four years. Now there are rumors surfacing of an electrified hot-hatchback dubbed the "BMW M140e."
What makes the electric hot-hatch just as exciting as offerings from BMW's is that the electric motor in the M140e is expected to churn out 400 horsepower.
The BMW M140e will likely replace the company's 1-Series M front-wheel-drive offering as a plug-in hybrid M performance variant for the 2020 model year. This performance model is expected to feature a 2-liter turbocharged 4 cylinder engine capable of producing 300 hp of power and 295 lb-ft of torque.
The gasoline motor will come mated to an 80 horsepower electric motor producing a combined output of 400 hp and 369 lb-ft of peak torque. The electrified powertrain will likely be energized by a 35 kWh battery pack offering an estimated all-electric driving range of 50 to 70 miles.
To improve the powertrain's efficiency, BMW might also equip the upcoming electric hot hatch with water injection cooling system. It is also worth noting that out of 25 news electric vehicles proposed by BMW, 12 of them are expected to be plug-in hybrids, which makes this electric hot-hatch a very real possibility.
An electrified performance variant might also make it easier for BMW's loyal customer base to adopt the electrified lifestyle proposed by the company.
As of now, BMW has said that it is anticipating a 30% year over year increase in its electric vehicle sales and as a result of this anticipated growth, offerings like an electrified Rolls Royce Phantom and the upcoming Mini electric will join the company's lineup alongside the rumored M140e hatchback.
An update for the front-wheel-drive BMW 1-Series is already under development, but the company has not issued any statement officially addressing the rumors surrounding a possible M140e model.
Manish Kharinta is a automotive writer based in the Los Angeles area. He has worked for automotive industry websites TheSmokingClutch.com, CarDekho.com and CarBikeindia.com. His experience ranges from covering auto shows, to car reviews and breaking automotive news. Manish aims to bring forth his unique perspective on automotive design and technological innovations in the automotive industry.
The First 'Polestar Spaces' in the U.S. Are Opening in California & New York City
Elon Musk’s SpaceX is Providing ‘Aerospace Ride-Sharing’ to San Francisco-based Earth Imaging Company Planet Labs
Tesla is Facing Growing Competition From Chinese EV Startup Xpeng Motors With its More Affordable P7 Sedan
The New Polestar 2 EV Matches its Performance with Equally High Safety Standards
Tesla's Model S and Model X Performance Get Improved 0-60 MPH Acceleration Times
Tesla's Long-Range Model 3 Will Soon Enter Production in China
What Effect Will COVID-19 Have on the EV Industry?
Is the New Tesla Model Y Ready for the Growing Competition it's up Against?
- Electric Truck Startup Lordstown Motors Gets its First Order From Utility Company FirstEnergy
- Tesla to Reopen its California Factory After the State's Governor Allows Manufacturing to Resume, Despite a County Order to Keep it Closed
- Tesla Reports a Profitable First Quarter as Most of the Auto Industry Weathers the Coronavirus Pandemic
- U.S. Automakers General Motors & Ford Instruct Employees to Work From Home Beginning Next Week Due to the Coronavirus
- Electric Automaker Tesla is Forced to Reduce its Workforce By 75% at its Fremont, California Factory
- Alameda County Orders Tesla to Cease Vehicle Manufacturing at its California Factory
- Ford Motor Company is Using Simulation to Design the Passenger Experience for its Future Self-Driving Vehicles
- Autonomous Driving Startup Zoox Agrees to Settle Lawsuit Filed By Tesla Over Stolen IP
- Ford Motor Company Announces a Fully-Electric Transit Van, it Will Debut as a 2022 Model
- Detroit’s Big 3 Looking to Reopen Factories by May 18: Report