A Jeep Wrangler Plug-in Hybrid Confirmed for 2020
【Summary】Jeep is also currently working towards introducing a plug-in hybrid version of its iconic Wrangler SUV soon
After Land Rover introduced that the latest generation of its iconic Defender four-wheel-drive off-roader will get a plug-in hybrid option for the first time, rival Jeep has announced its own hybrid plans.
According to a recent reports, Jeep is working on a plug-in hybrid version of its long-running Jeep Wrangler adventure vehicle. The reports come after prototype hybrid Wrangler's were spotted road testing earlier this year.
The Wrangler is one of Jeep's most iconic nameplates and its current form has been in production by Jeep since 1986.
Equipped with an electrified powertrain, the Jeep Wrangler hybrid is expected to hit dealerships across the nation sometime next year. According to the report, the plug-in hybrid version will go on sale alongside a diesel model. Jeep will likely continue using its 3.6 liter V6 Pentastar engine for combustion duties in the PHEV Wrangler.
The hybrid powertrain will probably get an Atkinson cycle engine, which in turn will improve the IC motor's fuel economy. The bump in efficiency might result in reduced power output but the electrification hardware might make up for the loss in power.
The company has confirmed that its hybrid tech components will be located between the SUV's driveshaft and exhaust in a secure area under the car's body. This indicates that Jeep plans on upgrading Wrangler's standard IC motor to incorporate hybrid technology instead of introducing an all-new hybrid powertrain.
The electric utility vehicle segment is becoming quite popular. The success of EVs like the Tesla Model X and Model Y is a testament to the desirability of these electric offerings. It is also the reason why Ford is working on revamping its portfolio to redirect focus on expanding its crossover, truck, and SUV lineup, all of which will feature some level of electrification.
However, offroading enthusiasts will have to wait for the launch of the Rivian R1T or the Bollinger B1 to get behind the wheels of a capable offroader that features an fully-electrified powertrain.
The Jeep Wrangler is renowned for its off-roading capabilities and we expect that is potential will only grow when equipped with the much torquier hybrid engine that offers more low-speed torque as compared to the standard motor.
With improved fuel economy figures, the PHEV Jeep Wrangler should also help improve the public image of FCA, Jeep's parent company. Earlier this year, the automaker agreed to pay an $800 million settlement when U.S. regulators accused the automaker of cheating emission tests using defeat devices.
Manish Kharinta is a automotive writer based in the Los Angeles area. He has worked for automotive industry websites TheSmokingClutch.com, CarDekho.com and CarBikeindia.com. His experience ranges from covering auto shows, to car reviews and breaking automotive news. Manish aims to bring forth his unique perspective on automotive design and technological innovations in the automotive industry.
Ford's Lincoln Star Concept Offers a Glimpse into the Electric Future of the Luxury Brand
GM's New 'Plug And Charge' Feature Will Simplify the Charging Process For its Current & Future EVs
Volvo is Building a New EV Service and Training Facility at its U.S. Headquarters in New Jersey To Fast Track its Electrification Plans
Honda's New EV Friendly Retail Plans Hint at the End of Mega Dealerships
Volvo Cars and Epic Games to Partner on a High-Resolution 3D Digital Driver’s Display Powered by the Unreal Engine
Here's One Way Lucid Motors Made the Air Sedan More Spacious for Passengers
The 2023 Polestar 2: Delivery Updates, New Pricing, Color Options and New Tech
The Genesis X Speedium Coupe EV Concept Debuts in New York City
- Ralph Nader Calls for NHTSA to Remove Tesla Full Self-Driving
- Facing Rising Production Costs, Automakers Ford, GM, Stellantis and Toyota Urge Congress to Lift the Cap on the $7,500 EV Tax Credit
- Hyundai Gets Serious About Electric Performance Cars, Shows off Two Concepts
- LiDAR developer Luminar Technologies Hires Ex Apple, Tesla and Nvidia Execs as it Prepares for Growth
- Redwood Materials is Building an Electric Vehicle Battery Recycling Facility in South Carolina
- Waymo Reveals its New Robotaxi Built by New Premium Electric Vehicle Brand Zeekr
- Toyota and Stellantis to Partner on a Large Commercial Van for the European Market, Including an All-Electric Version
- Zeekr’s New 009 Electric Passenger Van is the World’s First EV to Feature CATL’s Advanced ‘Qilin’ Battery With a Range of 510 Miles
- Qualcomm Ventures Invests in ThunderX, a Company Developing a Domain Controller-based Intelligent Vehicle Compute Platform
- BMW to Test a New Battery in the iX Electric SUV Developed By Michigan Startup Our Next Energy Inc. That Can Deliver 600 Miles of Range