BMW Upcoming iX2 Electric Crossover Spied for the First Time
【Summary】 a prototype of BMW's upcoming iX2 Electric Crossover was spied for the first time in Sweden.
After BMW officially green-lighting the production of an all-electric X1 crossover and 5-Series sedan, the German automaker is gearing up for the global unveiling of its next-generation BMW X2. We also know that the company is working on electrifying the upcoming the X2 model, which will aptly be dubbed the BMW iX2.
For the first time ever, a prototype of the highly-anticipated electric BMW X2 has been spotted during a road test in Sweden and the electric iX2 was practically undisguised. The photos were published by Motor1.
However, BMW did try to camouflage the EV prototype by stamping on some X2 xDrive 25e badges around the tailgate, even leaving in place an unconnected exhaust tip. The front doors sported "electric test vehicle" labels in place of BMW's more common "hybrid test vehicle" signage, which gave away the true identity of the vehicle.
The front end of the prototype features what looks like fog lamps that seem to be integrated into the bumper. However, we assume that these are just stickers and BMW will later incorporate the actual fog lamp units in the headlight clusters, which will give the electric X2 a more seamless and therefore futuristic appearance.
We saw a similar setup on the PHEV road-test vehicle earlier this year.
A Spy shot of the eletric BMW iX2 in Sweden. (Photo: Motor1)
So far, BMW has refrained from disclosing details about the electric powertrain in the upcoming iX2. We expect that the electric crossover will share the company's all-new 5th generation drivetrain, which has been purpose-built for its upcoming electric vehicle lineup. This new electric architecture is slated to debut in the upcoming BMW iX3 followed by the i4 and lastly the futuristic BMW iNEXT.
Like its larger electric sibling, which the company has confirmed will don the moniker iX3, we expect that the battery-only BMW X2 will be introduced under the iX2 nameplate.
Looking ahead, BMW plans on expanding its electric portfolio quite extensively, as the carmaker has already registered every model name starting from "iX1" going all the way up to "iX9".
The all-electric BMW likely share most of its styling with the upcoming X2 facelift. The automaker has not yet commented on a tentative debut date for the iX2, but its expected to follow the introduction of a plug-in hybrid version, which is scheduled to debut sometime next year.
Manish Kharinta is a automotive writer based in the Los Angeles area. He has worked for automotive industry websites TheSmokingClutch.com, CarDekho.com and CarBikeindia.com. His experience ranges from covering auto shows, to car reviews and breaking automotive news. Manish aims to bring forth his unique perspective on automotive design and technological innovations in the automotive industry.
Quick Comparison: The Mercedes-Benz EQS vs the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan
Here’s What We Know About BMW's Battery-powered 3 Series Sedan
Here Are the Latest Updates on the Battery-Powered Pickup Segment
Here's What We Know About the Upcoming Lincoln Corsair Plug-in Hybrid
Here's What You Need to Know About the Canoo Subscription-only Electric, Urban People Carrier
Here’s Everything We Know About the Fully-electric Audi Q4 e-tron
Nissan will Unveil its New Fully-electric Ariya Crossover on July 15th
Lucid Motors Will Unveil its Luxury Electric Air Sedan on September 9th
- Jaguar Improves I-Pace Thanks to Knowledge From Formula E, I-Pace eTrophy
- California Electric Automaker Fisker to go Public in a Deal That Would Give the Company a $2.9 Billion Valuation
- Tesla Reports a Profitable First Quarter as Most of the Auto Industry Weathers the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Ford Mustang Mach-E Coming With Over-the-Air Updates
- Uber Plans to Sell the Software That Powers its Ride-Hailing Network to Cities, Launching a California Pilot Next Month
- Fiat is Testing Geofencing That Will Automatically Switch Hybrid Vehicles to Electric Mode in the City of Turin
- Samsung Submits Patent Application for VR Eyeglasses That Can Display Turn-by-Turn Navigation for Drivers
- Electric Performance Brand Polestar Shares New Details of its ‘Precept’ Sedan
- Uber is Leading a $170 Million Investment in Electric Scooter Sharing Startup Lime
- Samsung’s Latest AR Glasses Patent Can Act as a Constant HUD