Toyota Joins Forces With Panasonic to Jointly Develop EV Batteries
【Summary】The joint partnership will see Toyota and Panasonic develop and manufacture prismatic lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles, which will also be available for other automakers to purchase.
Toyota was one of the first automakers to introduce a mass-market electrified vehicle with the Prius, but it's been one of the slowest to adopt a fully electric vehicle. Before Toyota comes out with an electric vehicle, the Japanese automaker has entered into a partnership to build one of the most crucial components in an electric car: batteries.
Becoming A Global Powerhouse
According to Reuters, Toyota and Panasonic have entered into a joint venture that will see the two develop and manufacture prismatic lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles. The two companies will create Prime Planet Energy and Solutions and begin working on batteries on April 1. Toyota will own 51 percent of the company, while Panasonic will own the other 49 percent.
Since Toyota isn't really interested in electric vehicles and Panasonic is more of a tech company, the batteries that Prime Planet Energy and Solutions develop will be available for other companies and manufacturers to purchase. The goal of the two companies, as the outlet points out, is to become more dominant players on a global scale. The automotive industry is moving toward electric cars, so the two see this is a great way to solidify their roles and bring in some extra funds in the future.
"Batteries – as solutions for providing energy for automobiles and various other forms of mobility, and as solutions for various kinds of environmental issues – are expected to fulfill a central role in society going forward," said the companies in a statement.
Why The Partnership Makes Sense
Panasonic brings a lot of its expertise to the table. The company already supply electric-vehicle batteries to Tesla and has been looking to expand its roster of companies for some time. While Toyota isn't looking to fully electric cars, the automaker does have quite a few hybrids and plug-in hybrids in its lineup. Hybrids and plug-in hybrids still require battery packs with lithium-ion batteries, so it's not like it won't use them.
Additionally, Panasonic and Toyota will work together on solid-state batteries, which are the unicorn of electric vehicles. Individuals with knowledge of electric cars believe that solid-state batteries will revolutionize electric vehicles. They're expected to be much more stable than lithium-ion batteries, while having more energy density.
Solid-state batteries are expected to provide EVs with more range, better performance, and quicker recharge times. In other words, solid-state batteries will result in much better electric vehicles.
Vineeth Joel Patel
Joel Patel has been covering all aspects of the automotive industry for four years as an editor and freelance writer for various websites. When it comes to cars, he enjoys covering the merger between technology and cars. In his spare time, Joel likes to watch baseball, work on his car, and try new foods
Jaguar Improves I-Pace Thanks to Knowledge From Formula E, I-Pace eTrophy
Audi Cuts e-tron Price, Increases Range for 2021
AAA Study Finds Modern Driver-Assist Systems Aren’t Reliable
2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class to Get Cutting-Edge Safety Features
Jaguar Land Rover, University of Cambridge Develop a 'Touchless' Touchscreen
Hyundai Looking to Boost EV Production to Rival Tesla: Report
Waymo and FCA Expand Autonomous Partnership to Include Ram Vans
Tesla Tops J.D. Power’s 2020 APEAL Study
- Tesla Halts Model 3 Production at its Shanghai Factory
- Ride-Hailing Company Lyft Vows to Switch to Fully-Electric Vehicles by 2030
- Online Car Retailer Vroom Raises $467.5 Million in its U.S. IPO
- Electric Truck Startup Rivian Announces a New $2.5 Billion Investment Round Led By T. Rowe Price
- Lucid Releases Video of its Electric Air Sedan Completing a 400-Mile Journey
- Lucid Motors Plans to Open 20 Design Studios & Service Locations Throughout the U.S.
- Chinese Battery Maker CATL Says its Ready to Build a 1.2 Million Mile EV Battery with a 16 Year Lifespan
- General Motors Begins Site Prep on its $2.3 Billion Joint Venture EV Battery Plant in Ohio
- VTOL Aviation Startup Lilium Completes $35M Funding Round from Investment Firm Baillie Gifford
- Lordstown Motors Signs Licensing Deal With Elaphe Propulsion Technologies for In-Wheel Motors for its Electric Endurance Pickup