Electric Automaker Tesla is Forced to Reduce its Workforce By 75% at its Fremont, California Factory
【Summary】As the San Francisco Bay Area remains under a multi-county shelter-in-place order to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, local businesses are being forced to temporarily close and keep their employees at home, including electric automaker Tesla. The company is idling around 7,500 employees at its Fremont, California factory.
As the San Francisco Bay Area remains under a multi-county shelter-in-place order to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, businesses are being forced to temporarily close and keep their employees at home, including electric automaker Tesla.
Tesla's Fremont, California factory is located in Alameda County, which is one of the Bay Area counties under the mandatory shelter-in-place order, therefore the electric carmaker must cease all "non essential" operations, which includes vehicle production.
The county sheriff's office said this week that Tesla was not considered an essential business and cannot continue to operate its factory normally.
The Fremont factory is Tesla's only U.S. production facility, building all of Tesla's vehicles, including the new Model Y crossover. Deliveries of the first Model Y's to customers began just this week. Now those deliveries are in question and being delayed.
The Fremont factory employs more than 10,000 workers and Tesla must reduce it by 75%, according to a county official that spoke with the automaker. However, as of yesterday, country officials could not confirm that Tesla has ceased making cars, including the Model 3 and Model Y.
"They told us they had gone from about 10,000 individual employees to about 2,500," a county offical said. "It sounds to me like they very well could still be making cars. We are continuing to stress to them that they must move to minimum basic operations, if they are still making cars."
The county sheriff's office said Tesla was not considered an essential business under that order and cannot continue to operate its factory normally, but indicated that there are other priorities the county must address besides the Tesla factory, as the shelter-in-place order is affecting millions of Bay Area residents and most of the local businesses.
"Tesla needs to comply with the health order," he said, adding that the county did not want to force people into compliance, but implement changes with their consent.
The spokesman said the county has had very good communications with Tesla, which had been very helpful navigating the issue.
Tesla did not respond to repeated requests for comment.
resource from: Reuters
Panasonic Unveils a Large Prototype Battery That’s Designed to Help Tesla Lower EV Production Costs
The Apple Car Project Has Reportedly Stalled Due to Unreasonable Demands Put on Chinese Battery Suppliers CATL & BYD
The Netherlands Forensic Institute Claims it Has Decoded Tesla's Vehicle Data By Reverse Engineering
Volkswagen’s China-made ID.3 Electric Car Will Officially Launch on Oct 22
Toyota to Invest $3.4 Billion Through 2030 in Electric Vehicle Battery Production in the U.S.
Volkswagen Group’s Electric Vehicle Sales Double in Q3, YTD Sales Are Up 138% Compared to 2020
Lucid to Open its First Canadian Retail Location in Vancouver, Announces Pricing for the First Time Outside of the U.S.
Japan’s Honda to Launch a New Electric Vehicle Brand in China Next Year
- Tesla to Add a ‘Beta Request’ Button to its Full-Self Driving Feature Next Week to Open it to More Drivers
- LG Electronics & Magna International Finalize Agreement for New ePowertrain Joint Venture That’s Linked to the Secretive ‘Apple Car’ Project
- Tesla Closing in on a Trillion Dollar Market Cap After Rental Car Company Hertz Orders 100,000 Model 3 Sedans
- General Motors Plans to Double its Revenue By 2030 With a Full Portfolio of Connected EVs
- Autonomous Trucking Startup Inceptio Technologies Raises $270 Million in Latest Series B Round
- Luxury-Electric Automaker Lucid Motors to Launch its Much-Anticipated IPO Next Week
- Commercial Vehicle Startup Electric Last Mile Solutions Inc. Announces Battery Supply Agreement with China’s CATL
- Tesla Challenger XPeng Reports Record July Deliveries, its 2nd Consecutive Month of Record-Setting Growth
- Magna's Proprietary 'eBeam' Axle Tech is a Novel Solution to Electrify Pickup Trucks
- Lidar Developer AEye & Seoul Robotics Develop a 300-Meter Range Perception Solution for Intelligent Traffic Systems