Audi Cuts e-tron Price, Increases Range for 2021
【Summary】Thank the Tesla Model Y or simply the introduction of more competition, because Audi’s just made the e-tron much more competitive.
The Audi e-tron is the automaker's first all-electric vehicle, though certainly not its last, and, by all measures, was an excellent way for the luxury brand to enter the electric field. Sure, it was delayed a few times and the original launch event was canceled because of Dieselgate. Then, there was the recall because of a possible fire risk. But overall, things have gone well for the e-tron and the EV has laid a good foundation for upcoming electric cars like the Q4 Sportback e-tron. For 2021, Audi's giving the e-tron a few changes that will make the EV more competitive.
More Affordable Pricing
If there are a few areas where the e-tron is a disappointment, it's how it compares to the competition, which is continually growing. With only 204 miles of range, the e-tron can't compete with the likes of the Jaguar I-Pace (234 miles), Kia Niro EV (239 miles), Tesla Model X (351 miles), Tesla Model Y (316 miles), and Hyundai Kona Electric (258 miles). Despite having less range than nearly every one of those competitors, the e-tron is more expensive than them. That changes, at least slightly, for 2021.
For the 2021 model year, Audi has introduced a new base trim for the e-tron family. The SUV will now start at $65,900 compared to last year's starting price tag of $74,800. That makes it $8,900 more affordable than before, while pricing for the higher Premium Plus and Prestige trims remains the same.
In addition to the more affordable price tag, the e-tron gets a modest increase in range – this is probably more important than the decrease in pricing. The 2021 e-tron will have an EPA-rated range of 222 miles on a full charge, which is 18 miles more than before. The improvements in range come from little tweaks that Audi has made, like the e-tron being able to disengage its front electric motor to save power. The automaker is also allowing the electric SUV to utilize more of its 95-kWh battery pack. Audi claims that the EV has "optimized drive system hardware and software adjustments."
The Updates Don't Change The e-tron
Other small changes have been made, too. The e-tron now has two charging ports – one on either side of the SUV. That should be a major improvement to usability, as having to oddly position your car when plugging into a busy charging station can be a major hassle.
While the changes are welcomed, they don't do wonders to help the e-tron become a leader in the segment, but they certainly help the SUV be far more competitive in the growing class. Audi also released some information on the upcoming Sportback e-tron, which will start at $70,195. The more athletically designed SUV has less range than the regular e-tron, as it's rated at up to 218 miles.
The 2021 e-tron and Sportback e-tron will go on sale before the end of the year
Vineeth Joel Patel
Joel Patel has been covering all aspects of the automotive industry for four years as an editor and freelance writer for various websites. When it comes to cars, he enjoys covering the merger between technology and cars. In his spare time, Joel likes to watch baseball, work on his car, and try new foods
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Now PHEV Only
Acura Prevision EV Concept Previews Brand’s Electric Future
Hyundai Gets Serious About Electric Performance Cars, Shows off Two Concepts
Ford Looks to Have 100% of EV Sales Be Online
Volkswagen CEO Believes It Will Overtake Tesla in EV Sales by 2025
Report Claims Nissan Leaf Will Be Discontinued by 2025
Autonomous Vehicles Will Require Cities to Change Their Transportation Methods
Rivian, Mercedes-Benz Partner to Produce Electric Commercial Vans
- SiLC Technologies Launches its Eyeonic Vision System, a LiDAR Sensor That Can Identify Objects up to 1 Kilometer Away
- Waymo Reveals its New Robotaxi Built by New Premium Electric Vehicle Brand Zeekr
- Ford Raises the Prices of the F-150 Lightning Electric Pickup Due to Rising Raw Material Costs
- Amazon Customers in Texas and California Will Begin Receiving Packages via Prime Air Drones Later This Year
- California Startup Orbis Brakes Debuts its Revolutionary 'Periodic Wave' Brake Line Developed in Collaboration with NASA
- J.D. Power Study Finds That EVs Are More Problematic Than ICE Cars
- The World’s Biggest Battery Producer CATL Signs MoU with EV Startup VinFast to Develop a ‘Skateboard’ Electric Vehicle Platform
- Mazda Outlines Plans to Invest $10.6 Billion in Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Development Through 2030
- The Affordable New Smart Brand Electric Crossover Designed by Mercedes-Benz Officially Launches in China
- 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Now PHEV Only