Tesla Model 3 Tops Chart as Most American-Made Car
【Summary】The compact Tesla Model 3 may lead the pack, but General Motors has the most models to make it on the list.
Buying American is a huge point of contention for American shoppers. Most people want to purchase a vehicle that's made in America, but American-made vehicles tend to be a myth. In simpler terms, buying an "American-made" car is trickier than it sounds.
Tesla Tops The Chart
To help consumers pick a vehicle that's actually made in America, Cars.com came out with its annual list of American-made cars with its "American-Made Index." Now in its 16th year, the index houses some surprising vehicles. The Tesla Model 3 sits at the top of the list, becoming the first all-electric vehicle to rank at the top of the charts. The electric sedan, which is assembled in Fremont, California, beat the Ford Mustang and Tesla Model Y for the top spot.
The 2021 Tesla Model 3 moves up three spots from last year, when it ranked in fourth place. The Mustang moves an incredible 32 spots up to sit in second place for 2021. The third-place Model Y was unranked last year. Tesla deserves quite a lot of recognition for having an electric vehicle at the number one spot.
Further down the list, the Jeep Cherokee and Chevrolet Corvette round out the top five. Despite a recent push from automakers to introduce more electric vehicles, Tesla's the only automaker that has an EV to make the top 20. The Chevrolet Corvette, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey, Honda Pilot, Honda Passport, and Toyota Tundra make it to the top 10.
Hybrids Are Further Down
Quite a few hybrids made the list, but they're further down the pack. The Ford F-150 Hybrid (43), Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe (49), Toyota Camry Hybrid (60), Ford Escape Hybrid (61), Lexus ES Hybrid (63), Toyota Highlander Hybrid (65), Honda Accord Hybrid (67), Honda CR-V Hybrid (73), and Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (85) made the top 90. The only other full electric vehicle to make the list was the Nissan Leaf, sitting down in 79th place.
Cars.com's American-Made Index isn't the end-all-be-all for American-built cars. Instead, it's better off being used as a loose guide. To rank the most American-made cars, the outlet looks at five major factors: location of final assembly, percentage of U.S. (and Canadian) parts, countries of origin for all available engines, countries of origin for all available transmissions, and U.S. manufacturing workforce.
In addition to revealing the most American-made cars, the index also disclosed that 72 percent of shoppers "consider a car's U.S. economic impact a significant or deciding factor in their vehicle purchase." That number is 2 percent higher than last year's index. The outlet reports that 29 percent of shoppers told Cars.com that it was "unpatriotic" to purchase vehicles built outside of the U.S.
Vineeth Joel Patel
Joel Patel has been covering all aspects of the automotive industry for four years as an editor and freelance writer for various websites. When it comes to cars, he enjoys covering the merger between technology and cars. In his spare time, Joel likes to watch baseball, work on his car, and try new foods
Mercedes-Benz EQS Gets an EPA Estimated Range of 350 Miles
2022 Ford Mustang V8 Loses 10 Horsepower Because of Emissions Regulations
AAA Study Finds Driver-Assist Systems Struggle in Bad Weather
J.D. Power Study Finds That New Owners Don’t Use a Lot of Advanced Tech Features
Semiconductor Chip Shortage Could Extend Well Into 2022
Tesla Moving Its Headquarters to Texas, a State Where it Cannot Sell its Vehicles Directly to Customers
Ford Spices Up 2022 Mustang With New Appearance Packages
Report: Rivian Continued to Steal Secrets, Staff After Tesla Lawsuit
- German Vehicle Tuner Manhart Performance Reveals the 543 HP Tesla Model 3, its First EV Project
- Ford Motor Co Renews $15.5 Billion in Revolving Credit Lines, Aligning Them With its Updated Sustainability Goals
- Mapbox to Help Drivers Navigate More Easily With Advanced Location Technology From ‘what3words’ in New Partnership
- EXCLUSIVE: ICONIQ Motors & Supercar Manufacturer W Motors Plan to Reinvent the Passenger Experience with the Sleek, Luxurious and Fully-Electric Seven ‘Smart Passenger Vehicle’
- Ford Spices Up 2022 Mustang With New Appearance Packages
- Apple's Next iPhone Will Reportedly Be Able to Connect to Satellites, Can Tesla’s Vehicles Do the Same?
- Nissan’s Battery Partner Envision AESC to Build a New $460 Million EV Battery Factory in Japan
- Hedge Fund Firm ‘Engine No 1’ Takes Stake in General Motors - Betting Big on its All-Electric Future
- Honda Ditches Plan for Tackling EVs Alone, Embraces Partnerships
- Volvo’s Electric-Performance Brand Polestar to Go Public in a $20 Billion SPAC Deal With Gores Guggenheim, Inc.