NIO to Offer Dolby Atmos Audio Technology Standard in the New ET7 Electric Sedan
【Summary】Tesla rival NIO Inc. will be the world's second automaker to offer Dolby Atmos audio technology in its latest electric vehicle, the ET7 sedan. NIO follows Lucid Group, which was the first automaker to include Dolby Atmos in the audio system of the Lucid Air sedan. Dolby Atmos technology debuted in 2012 and is normally associated with blockbuster Hollywood movie soundtracks.
Chinese electric vehicle startup and Tesla rival NIO Inc. will be the world's second automaker to offer Dolby Atmos audio technology in its latest electric vehicle, the ET7 sedan. NIO follows Lucid Group, which was the first automaker to include Dolby Atmos in the audio system of the Lucid Air sedan.
The audio systems in the ET7 will be a 7.1.4 channel immersive sound system, according to NIO.
Dolby Atmos technology, which made its debut in 2012, is normally associated with blockbuster Hollywood movie soundtracks. Atmos technology is being embraced by leading artists and music streaming services with a fully immersive listening experience that reveals revealing details with enhanced clarity and depth that's not possible with 2-channel stereo systems.
Atmos is also offered on many new TV soundbars that use upward firing speakers to create an immersive three-dimensional audio experience with sounds that appear to come from overhead, below or 360 degrees around the listener.
Most car audio systems use a standard 2-channel stereo setup with left and right speakers. A common setup in a 2-channel stereo audio system are left-right balance controls and a front to rear fader, which generally use 4, 6 or 8 speakers throughout the cabin. However, Dolby Atmos technology takes this a bit further by expanding the sound 360 degrees around the listener.
The 1,000 watt audio system in the ET7 uses a total of 23 speakers, including four speakers in the ceiling and a subwoofer. The four speakers next to each of the four primary seats known as three-way speakers, designed with a tweeter, a mid-range, and a woofer.
NIO Radio, an exclusive streaming music platform for NIO drivers similar to Spotify, will also support Dolby Atmos. The platform is an online interactive audio community for NIO customers. With the latest NIO OTA firmware update, NIO Radio became the world's first in-vehicle streaming service to offer 5.1 channel surround sound.
In the new Lucid Air, Dolby Atmos is integrated into the vehicle's "Surreal Sound" audio system. All of the Air's miscellaneous sounds and driver warnings have been created to take full advantage of the Atmos audio technology, according to Lucid. For example, if a rear passenger in the Air forgot to buckle their seat belt, the warning chime will come from where the passenger is seated.
Although the support of Dolby Atmos is relatively new in the auto industry, as modern vehicles become more advanced and capable of autonomous driving, Atmos technology can elevate the passenger experience. It can turn a vehicle into a mobile movie theater or concert hall with its immersive audio capabilities.
Hyundai Motor Group Signs MoU with SK On Co. to Secure Batteries for EVs Built in the U.S.
Tesla May Build its Next Factory in South Korea, According to the Country’s Presidential Office
Mazda Outlines Plans to Invest $10.6 Billion in Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Development Through 2030
Audi Rebrands its Premium Car Rental Service to ‘Audi on demand’
General Motors Announces a Key North American Nickel Supply Deal for Electric Vehicle Batteries
Toyota’s Redesigned Prius May Get More Drivers Behind the Wheel of a Hybrid Vehicle
Electric Automaker Lucid Group Unveils the Lower Priced Air Pure and Air Touring Models
Struggling Electric Vehicle Startup Faraday Future Signs Deal to Raise up to $350 Million in Financing to Help it Stay Afloat
- Mercedes-Benz Signs MoU With the Government of Canada to Source the Raw Materials for Electric Vehicle Batteries
- Mazda Outlines Plans to Invest $10.6 Billion in Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Development Through 2030
- Mercedes-Benz is Offering a Performance Upgrade as a Yearly Subscription on its EQ Electric Vehicles
- Hyundai Gets Serious About Electric Performance Cars, Shows off Two Concepts
- Mercedes-Benz Begins Production of the Highly Anticipated EQS Electric SUV in Alabama
- GM Expanding First Responder Training Program for EV Crashes
- Toyota is Investing an Additional $2.5 Billion to Expand its North Carolina Factory to Boost EV Battery Production
- Electric Truck Maker Rivian Opens the First Fast Chargers in Colorado for its Nationwide ‘Adventure Network’
- General Motors is Building a Coast-to-Coast DC Fast EV Charging Network in the U.S. in a New Partnership with Travel Center Operator Pilot Company
- Solid State Battery Startup Solid Power Completes its EV Cell Pilot Production Line