Porsche Introduces New Taycan Sport Turismo Models for European Market
【Summary】Porsche is only bringing the GTS Sport Turismo to the U.S., but consumers in Europe will be able to purchase the vehicle in Taycan, Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo, and Taycan Turbo S trims.
Porsche is one of the few automakers that's keeping wagons alive. The German automaker even offers its all-electric Taycan in a few wagon models. Porsche introduced the Taycan Cross Turismo, which is a slightly lifted wagon version of the Taycan with some rugged body cladding, at the beginning of 2021. The wagon body style helped the Taycan outsell the 911 recently and has been a huge success for the brand.
Porsche Adding More Taycan Trims
A few months ago, Porsche came out with the Sport Turismo Taycan GTS, a Cross Turismo without the rugged design and body cladding. After seeing how popular its Cross Turismo trim has been, Porsche is introducing some more Sport Turismo trims. Unfortunately, they won't be coming to the U.S.
As expected, the new Sport Turismo trims follow the same natural progression as the Taycan lineup. Other markets will receive the Taycan, Taycan 4S, Taycan Turbo, and Taycan Turbo S in the Sport Turismo body style. These models are extras on top of the GTS that Porsche already revealed.
Porsche doesn't have plans to bring these vehicles to the U.S., because it already sells the GTS. A Porsche spokesperson told Car and Driver that "the Taycan Sport Turismo will continue to be offered solely as a GTS in the United States." That vehicle has an "optimal blend of performance and utility." While we can't find a lot of fault with the GTS Sport Turismo trim, we do wish Porsche offered a few more variants of the wagon.
Multiple Sport Turismo Configurations
The base Taycan Sport Turismo is rear-wheel drive only and comes with a single electric motor. It's available with a standard 79.2-kWh battery pack, while the larger Performance Battery Plus 93.4-kWh pack is optional. With the standard battery pack, output is rated at 402 horsepower. The larger battery pack brings an additional 67 horsepower. The Taycan 4S is available with the same battery packs as the base model. The range-topping Taycan Turbo S Sport Turismo has a dual-motor configuration for 750 horsepower and all-wheel drive.
When it comes to range, the Taycan 4S Sport Turismo is the best of the bunch. It can travel 309 miles on the European WLTP cycle. Charging times for the Taycan Sport Turismo are impressive. Both the standard and Performance Battery Plus packs can go from 5 to 80 percent in 22 minutes and 30 seconds at peak charging speeds. On the performance front, the Turbo S is the quickest by a wide margin with a zero-to-62 mph time of just 2.8 seconds.
Porsche plans to launch the new Taycan Sport Turismo models in Europe this March. We can only hope that Porsche expands the Sport Turismo line after seeing how popular they are in other markets.
Vineeth Joel Patel
Joel Patel has been covering all aspects of the automotive industry for four years as an editor and freelance writer for various websites. When it comes to cars, he enjoys covering the merger between technology and cars. In his spare time, Joel likes to watch baseball, work on his car, and try new foods
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Now PHEV Only
Acura Prevision EV Concept Previews Brand’s Electric Future
Hyundai Gets Serious About Electric Performance Cars, Shows off Two Concepts
Ford Looks to Have 100% of EV Sales Be Online
Volkswagen CEO Believes It Will Overtake Tesla in EV Sales by 2025
Report Claims Nissan Leaf Will Be Discontinued by 2025
Autonomous Vehicles Will Require Cities to Change Their Transportation Methods
Rivian, Mercedes-Benz Partner to Produce Electric Commercial Vans
- LG Chem is Investing $3.2 Billion to Build a Cathode Manufacturing Facility for Electric Vehicle Batteries in Tennessee
- The Polestar 5 Sedan Will Have Dual Electric Motors With 884 HP
- The NIO ET7 Will Come Standard With an Advanced Dolby Atmos-Powered Sound System Co-Developed With Audio Pioneer Dirac
- Tesla’s Model 3 is Reportedly Getting a Redesign to Make it More Appealing as Competition in the EV Segment Grows
- Toyota is Working With the U.S. Dept of Energy to Advance ‘Megawatt-Scale’ Fuel Cell Powered Stationary Energy Generators
- Apple Reveals the Next-Gen Version of CarPlay, Which Takes Over a Vehicle’s Entire Dashboard and Screens
- Here’s How Waymo Uses Hyper-Local Weather Data to Improve the Capabilities of its Self-Driving Vehicles
- Valeo Signs Major Deal with BMW to Supply Advanced Driver Assist Hardware for the Automaker's Forthcoming 'Neue Klasse' EV Platform
- BMW to Test a New Battery in the iX Electric SUV Developed By Michigan Startup Our Next Energy Inc. That Can Deliver 600 Miles of Range
- Foxconn-led Mobility in Harmony Consortium Announces ‘Project X’, an Open, Modular Electric Vehicle Platform