Report Claims Ram 1500 EV Pickup Will Come With a Range Extender
【Summary】Ram’s secret weapon to compete against the Chevrolet Silverado EV, Ford F-150 Lightning, and Rivian R1T is to offer its electric 1500 pickup with a range extender.
Ram is well behind the ball on the all-electric front. The GMC Hummer EV, Ford F-150 Lightning, Chevrolet Silverado EV, and Rivian R1T are all expected to be on sale well before the Ram 1500 EV. We've seen all of these vehicles, in one form or another, while Ram is still busy drawing concepts. By the time the Ram 1500 EV arrives in 2024, some options will have a three-year head start. It's going to need a few tricks up its sleeve if it wants to be taken seriously.
Ram Looking For Feedback
At the Chicago Auto Show, Ram did just that. The first thing Ram came out with is called RamRevolution.com. It's a program that allows fans of Ram's trucks to provide some feedback and input on what Ram should do with the upcoming 2024 Ram 1500 EV. The automaker is taking input on everything from the way the pickup truck should look to features. The new program was accompanied by a few teaser images of what the electric pickup truck could look like.
"Our new Ram Revolution campaign will allow us to engage with consumers in a close and personal way, so we can gather meaningful feedback, understand their wants and needs and address their concerns -- ultimately allowing us to deliver the best electric pickup truck on the market with the Ram 1500 BEV," said Mike Koval Jr., CEO of Ram.
Additionally, there's a new "Ram Real Talk Tour" that will be along the lines of an automotive town hall for current Ram owners to talk to designers and engineers that build the vehicles. There, owners will be able to provide direct feedback to the people that actually build the vehicles to influence future models.
Possible Range Extender Coming
While all of this news may draw some current Ram owners in, it's not enough to go up against the likes of Ford, GMC, Chevrolet, or Rivian. When speaking with EV Pulse, Koval Jr. stated that the Ram 1500 EV would be available with a "class shattering" range extender version. The CEO didn't go into details on what a range extender would look like or mean. In other vehicles, a range extender is a small onboard engine that uses gasoline or fuel to charge the battery. In some applications, the onboard engine is solely used to charge the battery, while in others, it can lend a helping hand to route power to the wheels.
A range extender makes plenty of sense for an electric pickup truck. Full-size pickup trucks like the Ram 1500 appeal to consumers because of their impressive towing capacity. Range takes a massive hit when towing large cargo with an electric pickup. A range extender would help the truck have a usable amount of range when towing. At the moment, most automakers are having trouble getting 300 miles of range out of their vehicles. A range extender would certainly give the Ram 1500 EV an edge in the range department.
Vineeth Joel Patel
Joel Patel has been covering all aspects of the automotive industry for four years as an editor and freelance writer for various websites. When it comes to cars, he enjoys covering the merger between technology and cars. In his spare time, Joel likes to watch baseball, work on his car, and try new foods
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Now PHEV Only
Acura Prevision EV Concept Previews Brand’s Electric Future
Hyundai Gets Serious About Electric Performance Cars, Shows off Two Concepts
Ford Looks to Have 100% of EV Sales Be Online
Volkswagen CEO Believes It Will Overtake Tesla in EV Sales by 2025
Report Claims Nissan Leaf Will Be Discontinued by 2025
Autonomous Vehicles Will Require Cities to Change Their Transportation Methods
Rivian, Mercedes-Benz Partner to Produce Electric Commercial Vans
- NHTSA Upgrades Tesla's Autopilot Investigation to 'Engineering Analysis'
- China Added 963,000 Electric Vehicle Charging Piles Since January in its Push to Lead the World in EV Sales
- Amazon Customers in Texas and California Will Begin Receiving Packages via Prime Air Drones Later This Year
- Shares of Volvo’s EV Brand Polestar to Begin Trading on the NASDAQ After Closing on its SPAC Deal With Gores Guggenheim
- Tesla Rival NIO Reports a Record 31,607 Electric Vehicles Deliveries in Q3 as Demand Grows
- Good Time to Buy Into China's EV Industry
- New Premium Electric Vehicle Brand Zeekr Is Exploring IPO Options in the U.S. or Hong Kong, According to Sources
- Audi Rebrands its Premium Car Rental Service to ‘Audi on demand’
- Ford to Use Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries for the First Time as it Aims to Produce 600,000 EVs a Year in 2023, Sets Up Global Supply Chain
- EV Startup NIO to Launch a New Mass-Market Brand to Rival Tesla with an Annual Capacity of 500,000 Vehicles a Year