Hertz Adds the Tesla Model Y to it Rental Car Fleet
【Summary】Apparently, an order of 100,000 Model 3 electric sedans last year wasn’t enough for Hertz, as the rental car company is now looking to add Model Y SUVs to its fleet.
Hertz was headed toward bankruptcy and then the COVID-19 pandemic saw its fortunes change. The rising prices of used vehicles and rentals saw Hertz come back from the dead and then it shocked the industry when it announced a massive order for 100,000 Model 3 electric sedans to add to its fleet of vehicles. Tesla and Hertz haven't even filled the order for the Model 3 sedans yet, but the rental car company is already looking to add another Tesla model to its arsenal.
Model Y SUVs Arriving Soon
While Hertz didn't release an official press release, the company's website clearly states that consumers will soon be able to rent a Model Y through the rental company. "Reserve your Tesla Model Y car rental today to lower emissions, not standards, and experience a different all-new way to drive electric," claims the website. Finding an available model to rent could be difficult at the moment, as the announcement was just made, but we expect more Model Ys to become available as the year goes on.
The news pushed Tesla's stock above $1,000 for the first time. With the recent price increase, Tesla is now a trillion-dollar company. Hertz's stock price didn't have the same rise as Tesla's.
At the moment, we don't officially know if the new Model Y will be a part of Hertz's goal to add 100,000 electric cars to its fleet or whether the rental car company is adding them on top of its existing Model 3 order. Fox Business reports that the new Model Ys are included in the rental company's 100,000-vehicle order that was announced with the Model 3. The news is surprising, as Tesla CEO Elon Musk has stated that the automaker doesn't have an official contract with Hertz.
Only Available In Select Cities
The outlet claims that Hertz plans to begin renting out the Model Y to consumers in April in select cities that have the necessary charging infrastructure. Looking at where the Model 3 is currently available gives us a good idea of where Hertz plans to offer the Model Y. Currently consumers can rent a Model 3 in seven locations that include San Francisco, Atlanta Hartsfield, Los Angeles, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and Dulles.
Based on the information listed on Hertz's page for the Model Y, we expect the rental company to offer the base Long Range trim that has up to 330 miles of range.
Vineeth Joel Patel
Joel Patel has been covering all aspects of the automotive industry for four years as an editor and freelance writer for various websites. When it comes to cars, he enjoys covering the merger between technology and cars. In his spare time, Joel likes to watch baseball, work on his car, and try new foods
Rivian, Mercedes-Benz Partner to Produce Electric Commercial Vans
GM Offering to Buy Out Buick Dealers That Don’t Want to Sell EVs
Prices For Used EVs Continue to Rise as Gas Cars Drop
Rivian Discontinues Base Model for R1S, R1T
Tesla Believes Its Dojo AI System Will Help It Win the Self-Driving Car Race
Acura Prevision EV Concept Previews Brand’s Electric Future
Ford Reportedly Dropping 2024 Mustang Hybrid
Federal Tax Credit on EVs Still Applies to American-Made Vehicles
- 2023 Subaru Solterra Priced Higher Than Toyota bZ4X
- China’s Tesla Rival XPeng Unveils its New ‘S4’ 480kW Electric Vehicle Supercharger That Can Add 125 Miles of Range in Just 5 Minutes
- BMW iVentures Announces Lead Investment in Mangrove Lithium, a Company Developing ‘Green Lithium’ Refining Technology
- GM's New 'Plug And Charge' Feature Will Simplify the Charging Process For its Current & Future EVs
- Tesla Challenger NIO Inc Reports its Highest-Ever Monthly Sales in June
- Rivian to Install Electric Vehicle Chargers in Michigan State Parks as Part of a New Partnership
- Major Tesla Investor Urges the Electric Automaker to Issue Stock Buyback After Share Price Plummets 30% Since April
- General Motors Launches ‘EV Live’ an Interactive Virtual Experience Where Participants Can Learn More About Electric Vehicles
- Specs and Photos of NIO’s New ES7 Electric SUV Revealed in a Regulatory Filing in China Ahead of its Launch
- 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Now PHEV Only