The Genesis X Speedium Coupe EV Concept Debuts in New York City
【Summary】Hyundai’s luxury subsidiary Genesis unveiled the all-new X Speedium Coupe last week at the automaker's new Genesis House brand center in New York City. The new concept is a fastback version of the Genesis X EV concept unveiled last year. In the future, Genesis intends to become an electric-only brand, and these concepts help the company explore its athletic elegance and modern design language.
South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Co is stirring up quite a bit of excitement in the auto industry at the moment. The all-new 2023 Kia Telluride SUV for example, recently made its global debut at the New York Auto Show. The refreshed full-size SUV now gets an updated exterior and a slew of new standard safety features.
Hyundai's luxury subsidiary Genesis also unveiled the all-new X Speedium Coupe at the automaker's new Genesis House brand center in New York City.
The newly unveiled vehicle is a fastback version of the Genesis X EV concept unveiled last year. The overall silhouette of the new coupe concept is similar to that of the Genesis X concept. In its latest iteration though, the concept looks almost production ready.
The new X Speedium Coupe derives its name from South Korea's Inje Speedium racetrack. The moniker symbolizes that driving pleasure will be a core characteristic of luxury Genesis brand EVs in the future.
However, the luxury brand of Hyundai does not intend to put either a Genesis X or Genesis X Speedium Coupe into production. The company's Chief Creative Officer, Luc Donckerwolke, revealed that the new concept vehicle would help one better understand the automaker's design process, as it scouts ideas for future EV models.
Donckerwolke also explained that the Genesis X Speedium Coupe concept embodies the company's DNA. In the future, Genesis intends to become an electric-only brand, and these concepts help the company explore its athletic elegance and modern design language.
The styling of the EV, however, has certainly evolved. The concept car's slim headlamps now dominate the front end and stretch across the car's width. The headlamp cluster's design now emulates the Genesis crest grille, and the concept also gets a much more pronounced rear end.
The beefy bright green brake calipers of the Genesis X Speedium Coupe are the highlight of its side profile. The car also gets a Genesis elliptical-shaped motif at the rear and V-shaped brake lights.
Unlike the Genesis X concept, the new fastback model rides on a set of wheels that flaunt a more intricate design.
The concept's bodywork shows off a beautiful metallic "Inje Green" paint job. Like its name, the Genesis X Speedium Coupe's color scheme is also inspired by the beauty of the landscapes surrounding the Inje Speedium racetrack, which is located high in the mountains of South Korea.
Unfortunately, Genesis did not reveal any information regarding the specifications of the Genesis X Speedium Coupe concept vehicle. So for now, we can only admire its looks. But the concept does offer a glimpse of what Genesis brand electric vehicles will be like in the future.
Manish Kharinta is a automotive writer based in the Los Angeles area. He has worked for automotive industry websites TheSmokingClutch.com, CarDekho.com and CarBikeindia.com. His experience ranges from covering auto shows, to car reviews and breaking automotive news. Manish aims to bring forth his unique perspective on automotive design and technological innovations in the automotive industry.
Ford's Lincoln Star Concept Offers a Glimpse into the Electric Future of the Luxury Brand
GM's New 'Plug And Charge' Feature Will Simplify the Charging Process For its Current & Future EVs
Volvo is Building a New EV Service and Training Facility at its U.S. Headquarters in New Jersey To Fast Track its Electrification Plans
Honda's New EV Friendly Retail Plans Hint at the End of Mega Dealerships
Volvo Cars and Epic Games to Partner on a High-Resolution 3D Digital Driver’s Display Powered by the Unreal Engine
Here's One Way Lucid Motors Made the Air Sedan More Spacious for Passengers
The 2023 Polestar 2: Delivery Updates, New Pricing, Color Options and New Tech
Quick Comparison: German-Made Tesla Model Y vs. the China-Made Version
- Researchers at South Korea’s Chung-Ang University Develop a ‘Meta-Reinforcement’ Machine Learning Algorithm for Traffic Lights to Improve Vehicle Throughput
- Ford Motor Co is Recalling 2.9 Million Vehicle That Could ‘Roll Away’ After the Transmission is Shifted Into Park
- BorgWarner Invests $500 Million in Wolfspeed Inc, a Developer of Semiconductors and Silicon Carbide Devices for Electric Vehicles
- EV Charging Provider Electrify America Raises $450 Million, Siemens to Become a Minority Shareholder
- Ford CFO Claims Inflation Has Erased Mustang Mach-E Profits
- GM's New 'Plug And Charge' Feature Will Simplify the Charging Process For its Current & Future EVs
- Lucid Launches New Performance Brand ‘Sapphire’ with a 1,200 Horsepower, Tri-Motor Version of the Lucid Air Sedan
- Hyundai Gets Serious About Electric Performance Cars, Shows off Two Concepts
- General Motors Announces Two Major Long-Term Supply Agreements for Enough Lithium and Cathode Material to Build 5 Million EVs
- Stellantis to Idle its Illinois Assembly Plant Indefinitely, Citing the High Costs of Electric Vehicles