Tesla releases teaser photo of its full size electric semi-truck
【Summary】At the 2017 TED Conference in Vancouver, the Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed the first ever teaser image of the company's upcoming semi truck.
In typical Tesla fashion, Elon Musk announced his big, bold plans to shake up the trucking industry several weeks ago. We now get a glimpse of those plans. On Friday, April 28th (PDT) at the 2017 TED Conference in Vancouver, the Tesla CEO revealed the first ever teaser image of the company's upcoming semi-truck.
Video of the talk hasn't been posted but pictures from the event suggest the semi will be relatively aerodynamic and feature vertical LED headlights.
There are no other confirmed details about the truck, but Musk hinted the truck will "out-torque any diesel semi" and be agile "like a sports car." The outspoken executive also said "If you had a tug of war competition, the Tesla semi will tug the diesel semi uphill."
Musk is keeping details under wraps but he hinted the semi-truck is "seriously next level" and the team responsible for developing it has done an "amazing job." That's not much to go on but the executive has previously said the Tesla Semi will "deliver a substantial reduction in the cost of cargo transport, while increasing safety and making it really fun to operate."
Tesla wouldn't become the first company to develop an electric semi as BMW uses a truck built by Dutch manufacturer Terberg to deliver parts to the company's plant in Munich, Germany.
Musk said the company is still working on a pickup truck, and it will be unveiled within 18 to 24 months. The outspoken executive also reiterated plans for a new Roadster, which was Tesla's first vehicle introduced in 2008.
resource from: www.businessinsider.com
Originally hailing from New Jersey, Eric is a automotive & technology reporter covering the high-tech industry here in Silicon Valley. He has over 15 years of automotive experience and a bachelors degree in computer science. These skills, combined with technical writing and news reporting, allows him to fully understand and identify new and innovative technologies in the auto industry and beyond. He has worked at Uber on self-driving cars and as a technical writer, helping people to understand and work with technology.
Luxury-Electric Automaker Lucid Motors to Launch its Much-Anticipated IPO Next Week
Luxury Brand Mercedes-Benz to Go All-Electric by 2030
Uber Freight Aims to Build the World’s Most Comprehensive Logistics Network with its $2.25 Billion Acquisition of Transplace
Ford & Argo AI to Deploy Self-driving Vehicles on Lyft’s Ride-Hailing Network This Year
Intel’s Autonomous Driving Arm Mobileye is Testing its Self-driving Technology in New York City
The Upcoming Lucid Air Sedan Will Ride on High-Tech Pirelli Tires Designed for EVs
Solar-Electric Car Startup Sono Motors to Use a Connected Vehicle Software Platform From Silicon Valley-based Sibros
Ford Motor Co is Recalling Nearly 775,000 Ford Explorer Models a Second Time for Rear Suspension Problem
- Mercedes-Benz Offering EQS Customers 2 Years of Free Charging From Electrify America
- Tesla to Replace Radar in its Model 3, Model Y in the U.S. - Rolling Out ‘Pure Vision Autopilot’ Using Cameras
- Honda Announces its First Mass-Market EV Named the 'Prologue', it Arrives in 2024
- Upcoming Mercedes-Benz EQB is the Replacement For the Canceled EQC
- Luxury Electric Vehicle Startup Lucid Motors Hires Key Executives from Waymo, Apple & Ferrari Ahead of its IPO
- Silicon Valley Company DeepMap Announces ‘RoadMemory’ a Scalable Mapping Service for Autonomous Vehicles
- A Closer Look at Tesla’s Nvidia-powered Supercomputer for Training Deep Neural Networks
- Ford’s Electrified Vehicle Sales Were Up 184% in May, F150-Lightning Reservations Reach 70,000
- BMW Board Member Says the Automaker Intends to Cut Production Costs 25% by 2025
- Volvo’s New Electric XC90 to Come with LiDAR & NVIDIA's Orin Processor for Autonomous Driving